Sainik School, Kapurthala
Sainik School Kapurthala is one of 29 Sainik Schools across India. The school was inaugurated in July 1961 by the then Defence Minister V.K.Krishna Menon, with the objective of preparing boys and girls for entry into National Defence Academy in Khadakwasla. Its motto is "Knowledge, Humility and Discipline". It is a fully residential school for boys only, providing public school education. It has produced more than 1150 officers for the Indian armed forces through National Defence Academy. It is the only school among the twenty nine Sainik Schools which has held the Defence Minister’s trophy continuously for nine years.  
It is situated in the Kapurthala city of Punjab state, in Jagatjit palace which was formerly the palace of the Maharajah of princely state of Kapurthala, Maharajah Jagatjit Singh Bahadur. Jagatjit palace (location: 31.374 N, 75.392 E) was completed in 1908.
The scheme to establish Sainik Schools was introduced in 1961 with the primary aim of preparing boys academically, physically and mentally for entry into the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla.
The school is for students of 6 to 12 grade. It is a boys only school but daughters of the staff of the school can be admitted. The admission to the school is to grade 6 and 9 only.
The admission process is through an entrance exam held on the first Sunday of January. Approximately 2000 students participate in the entrance exam. The selected students are then called up for interview and a medical check up in February-March. The final list of students is declared by the end of March which comprises about 80-120 students.
The admission is open to boys for Class VI and Class IX only. At the time of admission, the candidate should have passed Class V for entry into Class VI and Class VIII for entry into Class IX.
For Class VI, the candidate should be more than ten years and less than eleven years of age on First of July of the year of admission. For Class IX, the candidate should be more than thirteen years and less than fourteen years of age on the first of July of the year of admission.
Scheduled Caste: 15%
- Scheduled Tribes: 7.5%
Thereafter, out of remaining seats, 67% of the seats are reserved for domiciles of the Punjab and 33% are open for other states. within the State and other state quota the seats are distributed amongst Defence personnel and Ex-servicemen (25%) and others 75%. Short-fall and remaining seats are thrown open to boys from other States/Union Territories. The distribution of the seats available is:
The school has four serving National Awardees.
- Mr GS Dhaliwal, Master English* (Retired in Nov. 2014.)
- Dr. SK Gautam, Master English
- Mr MS Bajwa, Asstt Master Mathematics ( Also awarded 'Kunjshree' by Sainik School Kunjpura)
- Mr Mriginder Singh, Asstt Master English (First ICT National awardee for any school under Ministry of Defence)
The 12 houses are named after personalities of India:
- http://www.sainikschoolkapurthala.com Archived 16 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine Official website
- "Sainik School Kapurthala, Punjab". www.sskapurthala.com.
- http://www.saikapiansabroad.com Archived 16 August 2008 at the Wayback Machine Home of Saikapians (Old students of Sainik School Kapurthala) living abroad
- Service, Tribune News. "Sans scholarships, Sainik School rises & shines again". Tribuneindia News Service.