Saint-Leonard borough council
The Saint-Leonard borough council is the local governing body of Saint-Leonard, a borough in the City of Montreal. The council consists of five members: the borough mayor (who also serves as a Montreal city councillor), two Montreal councillors elected for Saint-Leonard's electoral districts, and two borough councillors.
The borough council, like others in Montreal, is able to approve some contracts without seeking the approval of the Montreal executive committee or the Montreal city council. A Montreal Gazette article from May 2009 indicated that Saint-Leonard was paying more expenditures since dividing its management of parks and sports facilities into two twenty-year contracts.
- Borough mayor: Michel Bissonnet (Union Montreal)
- Montreal city councillor, Saint-Leonard East division: Robert Zambito (Union Montreal)
- Montreal city councillor, Saint-Leonard West division: Dominic Perri (Union Montreal)
- Montreal borough councillor, Saint-Leonard East division: Lili-Anne Tremblay (Union Montreal)
- Montreal borough councillor, Saint-Leonard West division: Mario Battista (Union Montreal)
- Information on the borough councillors
Lili-Anne Tremblay has a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from HEC Montreal and two master's degrees from the École nationale d'administration publique. She has worked for the government of Canada and the government of Quebec. Tremblay was first elected to the Saint-Leonard borough council in 2009.
Mario Battista has worked in civil aviation and as a real-estate entrepreneur. He was elected to the Saint-Leonard city council in 1990 as a Parti municipal candidate and was re-elected in 1994 and 1998. When Saint-Leonard was amalgamated into the City of Montreal in 2001, Battista joined the Montreal Island Citizens' Union (later renamed as Union Montreal); he was elected to the new borough council in that year's municipal election and was re-elected in 2005 and 2009. Battista has chaired Saint-Leonard's committee on leisure, spots, cultural affairs, and social development. In October 2010, he was appointed to a Montreal committee on transport, infrastructure, and the environment.
- Electoral Process and Districts: Saint-Léonard borough, City of Montreal, accessed 5 August 2011.
- Linda Gyulai, "St. Leonard parks contracts costing $1 million more," Montreal Gazette, 9 May 2009, A4.
- Lili-Anne Tremblay, Union Montreal, accessed 21 July 2011; Madame Lili-Anne Tremblay, Council biography, City of Montreal, accessed 21 July 2011.
- Irwin Block, "Second acclamation in a row for Zampino," Montreal Gazette, 15 October 1998, p. 6; Guillaume Picard, "Candidats au poste de conseiller d'arrondissement", 19 October 2009, accessed 13 September 2011.
- Mario Battista: Saint-Leonard, Union Montreal, accessed 23 September 2011; Candidat - Mario Battista, cyberpresse.ca, 2009, accessed 13 September 2011.
- "Deux commissions se penchent sur l'etat de l'industrie du taxi a Montreal," Canada NewsWire, 28 October 2010.