Location within La Côte-de-Beaupré RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||January 1, 1917|
|• Administrator||Jacques Roberge|
|• Federal riding||
|• Prov. riding||Charlevoix–Côte-de-Beaupré|
|• Total||7.90 km2 (3.05 sq mi)|
|• Land||0.35 km2 (0.14 sq mi)|
|• Density||14.3/km2 (37/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||0.0%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Postal code(s)||G1R 4R7|
|Area code(s)||418 and 581|
|Highways||No major routes|
Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague-du-Cap-Tourmente is a small enclave within the municipality of Saint-Joachim, at the foot of Cape Tourmente, and east of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, in the regional county municipality of La Côte-de-Beaupré in the region of Capitale-Nationale.
Named for Saint Aloysius Gonzaga and Cap Tourmente, a stormy promontory named by Samuel de Champlain, the municipality was set up in 1917 by a law that detached certain buildings and lands belonging to the Séminaire de Québec from the parish of Saint-Joachim in order to avoid paying municipal taxes and fees. At that time, it had an area of several square kilometres, including farmland; however, the law specified that if the Séminaire sold any of its property, it would revert to Saint-Joachim.
By and by, all of the Séminaire's property was sold and was thereby returned to Saint-Joachim, except for the Petit-Cap property, which now constitutes the entire territory of the municipality.
The municipality is not governed by a municipal council but by the Board of Directors of the Séminaire de Québec. As such, it does not have a mayor but rather an administrator.
In the 2011 Census, Statistics Canada originally reported that Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague-du-Cap-Tourmente had a population of 18 living in 8 of its 12 total dwellings, an increase from its 2006 population of 0. Statistics Canada subsequently amended the 2011 census results to a population of 5 living in 1 dwelling. With a land area of 0.35 km2 (0.14 sq mi), it had a population density of 14.3/km2 (37/sq mi) in 2011.
- Population in 2011: 5 (revised from 18 by Statistics Canada)
- Population in 2006: 0
- Population in 2001: 0
- Population in 1996: 4
- Population in 1991: 6
- "Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague-du-Cap-Tourmente (Municipalité de paroisse)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire - Répertoire des municipalités: Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague-du-Cap-Tourmente
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague-du-Cap-Tourmente census profile
- "Corrections and updates". Statistics Canada. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Quebec)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
Media related to Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague-du-Cap-Tourmente at Wikimedia Commons
- (in French) Municipal arms