Solidaire dans le labeur (French)
"Solidarity in work"
|Constituted||14 July 1874|
|• Mayor||Sonia Larrivée|
|• Federal riding||Rimouski-Neigette—|
|• Prov. riding||Rivière-du-Loup–Témiscouata|
|• Total||110.50 km2 (42.66 sq mi)|
|• Land||112.31 km2 (43.36 sq mi)|
|There is an apparent contradiction between two authoritative sources|
|• Density||11.7/km2 (30/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2016–21||1.5%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||418 and 581|
Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! (French pronunciation: [sɛ̃.lwi.dy.a.a]) is a parish municipality in the Témiscouata Regional County Municipality of the Bas-Saint-Laurent region of Quebec. The population is 1,311. Its economy is mainly agricultural. It is located southeast of Rivière-du-Loup and west of Cabano along the Trans-Canada Highway (Route 185), about halfway to Edmundston in New Brunswick.
The parish began in 1860 as the site of a Roman Catholic mission; it was named in 1874.
The Commission de toponymie du Québec asserts that the parish's name refers to nearby Lake Témiscouata, the sense of haha here being an archaic French word for an impasse; see Ha-ha. The Louis may refer to Louis Marquis, one of the first colonists of the region, or Louis-Antoine Proulx, vicar of Rivière-du-Loup, or perhaps the abbot Louis-Nicolas Bernier. Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! is the only town in the world with two exclamation points in its name, and shares the distinction of having an exclamation point in its name with Westward Ho!, a village in Devon, in south-west England.
In the 2021 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! had a population of 1,311 living in 552 of its 594 total private dwellings, a change of 1.5% from its 2016 population of 1,292. With a land area of 112.23 km2 (43.33 sq mi), it had a population density of 11.7/km2 (30.3/sq mi) in 2021.
- Baie des Ha! Ha!: A bay on the Saint Lawrence River in the Côte-Nord region.
- Baie des Ha! Ha!: A bay on the Saguenay River in the Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean region.
- Est! Est!! Est!!! di Montefiascone
- Hamilton!, Ohio, United States, city that briefly added an exclamation point to its name
- List of parish municipalities in Quebec
- Rivière Ha! Ha!: A river in Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean.
- Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, United States; a town that renamed itself after a radio show
- Westward Ho!, a village in Devon, England
- "Reference number 57133 in Banque de noms de lieux du Québec". toponymie.gouv.qc.ca (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec.
- "Geographic code 13080 in the official Répertoire des municipalités". www.mamh.gouv.qc.ca (in French). Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Habitation.
- "Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! (Code 2413080) Census Profile". 2011 census. Government of Canada - Statistics Canada.
- "TransCanadaHighway.com St Louis du Ha Ha, Quebec". FoundLocally.com. Archived from the original on 2010-11-30. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- "Saint Louis du Ha!Ha! gets Guinness World Record nod for its exclamation marks". CBC.ca. Archived from the original on 2018-09-17. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- Jeffries, Stuart (29 April 2009). "The joy of exclamation marks!". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 2013-12-14. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- "Population and dwelling counts: Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), Quebec". Statistics Canada. February 9, 2022. Archived from the original on August 29, 2022. Retrieved August 29, 2022.
- "Baie des Ha! Ha!". Commission de toponymie du Québec. Archived from the original on 2019-08-14. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Baie des Ha! Ha!". Commission de toponymie du Québec. Archived from the original on 2020-09-20. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Rivière Ha! Ha!". Commission de toponymie du Québec. Archived from the original on 2018-06-13. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
Media related to Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! at Wikimedia Commons