The church of Saint-Nicolas-de-Macherin
|Intercommunality||CA Pays Voironnais|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Freddy Rey|
|10.6 km2 (4.1 sq mi)|
|• Density||90/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||447–952 m (1,467–3,123 ft) |
(avg. 420 m or 1,380 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Saint-Nicolas-de-Macherin is a commune in the Isère department within Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes in southeastern France. The area of the commune is 1,060 hectares and the altitude lies between 447 and 952 meters.
The town is located 5 km from Voiron, which is the seat of the canton. It is 28 km north-west of Grenoble, 90 km from Lyon, and 510 km from Paris.
Information on the population size has been carried out in the municipality since 1793. In 2017, the commune had 938 inhabitants, a 5.9% increase since 2011.
According to figures from Insee, 91.6% of households live in single-family houses, compared to 8.4% in apartments. 94% of housing are main residences, 1.7% are second homes and the rest being vacant at the time of the survey in 2013.
21% of housing was built before 1919, while 62% was built between 1971 and 2005.
Places of interest
- Château de Hautefort - the oldest building in the town, now divided into apartments.
- Pied Barlet - ruins of the ancient fortress from the 13th century.
- Chapel of Hautefort castle 
- Church of Saint Nicolas, rebuilt between 1885 and 1889, designed by architect Jean-Francois Pichat.
In 2013, 4.1% of the active population was unemployed. This is low in comparison to the department unemployment rate of 11.2% for the same period.
57 businesses were operating in the town as of 1 January 2015, including 10 farms. The SITPM (Société Industrielle des Tissages Paul Merle) employs 58 people and manufactures fabrics. This factory was created in 1853 under the name of Usine de Tissage de Sainte-Marie d'Hautefort. The site covers 15,000m² and has more than 130 automated looms.
|1944||1945||Jean Marcoz||(Provisional municipal council)|
|1943||1944||Joseph Gaillard||(Deputy mayor following the resignation of Louis Fauchon)|
- Paul Picard - deputy for Isère, born and died in the town.
- Amédée de Foras - politician and diplomat, married and lived in the town at the Château de Hautefort.
- Family of Mourand de Jouffrey - descendants of Jean-Antione Morand de Jouffrey, who worked in Lyon (1727-1794) and created the 6th arrondissement (Brotteaux). A bridge, as well as a car park, still bear his name. His son, Antoine Morand de Jouffrey, was appointed the attorney general of the king at the Lyon finance office in 1785.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- INSEE commune file
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Saint-Nicolas-de-Macherin, EHESS. (in French)
- "Insee statistiques".
- Tasset, Eric (2005). Châteaux forts de l'Isère : Grenoble et le Nord de son arrondissement. Grenoble: éditions de Belledonne. pp. 498–501. ISBN 2911148665.
- Bourrillon, Corinne (2016). 10,000 lieux en Pays Voironnais. Chirens: Coordonnet. pp. 188–191.
- Cayol-Gerin, Anne (2017). Le Pays Voironnais - Patrimoine en Isère. Editions Conseil Départemental de l'Isère. p. 41.
- "Official site of Bois de Chartreuse" (PDF).
- "Official Bulletin of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food, No. 2018-46". info.agriculture.gouv.fr.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint-Nicolas-de-Macherin.|