Location within Deux-Montagnes RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||August 3, 1994|
|• Mayor||Denis Lavigne|
|• Federal riding||Argenteuil—Papineau—Mirabel|
|• Prov. riding||Mirabel|
|• Total||62.10 km2 (23.98 sq mi)|
|• Land||43.12 km2 (16.65 sq mi)|
|• Density||39.8/km2 (103/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||4.4%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0V 2B0|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
In 1780, the first European settlers arrived here. In 1848, the Parish of Saint-Placide was formed when it was separated from the parish of Saint-Benoît. The new parish name was undoubtebly chosen because Saint Placide, a monk of the sixth century, was a disciple of Saint Benedict. In 1853, its post office opened, and in 1855, the Parish Municipality of Saint-Placide was formed.
A wharf, built in 1867, allowed vessels of the Ottawa River Navigation Company to take delivery of wheat at that time in the region.
In 1950, the Village Municipality of Saint-Placide was formed when it separated from the Parish Municipality, and was surrounded by the latter's territory. On August 3, 1994, these municipalities were rejoined again to form the new Municipality of Saint-Placide.
- Population in 2011: 1715 (2006 to 2011 population change: 4.4%)
- Population in 2006: 1642 (2001 to 2006 population change: 6.8%)
- Population in 2001: 1537
- Population in 1996: 1479
- Population in 1991: 1387 (adjusted for boundary changes)
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 716 (total dwellings: 862)
- English as first language: 1.2%
- French as first language: 96%
- English and French as first language: 0.6%
- Other as first language: 2.2%
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2014)|
The Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles (CSSMI) operates Francophone public schools.
Notable people from Saint-Placide
- Adolphe-Basile Routhier (1839–1920), author of the original French lyrics of the Canadian national anthem 
- Reference number 293601 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Geographic code 72043 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (French)
- "(Code 2472043) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- "Découvrir Saint-Placide - Historique" (in French). Municipalité de Saint-Placide. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- "Saint-Placide (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- "Admission et inscription." Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Iles. Retrieved on December 7, 2014. "La Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Iles (CSSMI) offre ses services aux résidents des municipalités de : Blainville, Boisbriand, Bois-des-Filion, Deux-Montagnes, Lorraine, Mirabel (Saint-Augustin, Saint-Benoît, Sainte-Scholastique et secteur du Domaine-Vert), Oka, Pointe-Calumet, Rosemère, Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines, Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac, Sainte-Thérèse, Saint-Eustache, Saint-Joseph-du-Lac, Saint-Placide et Terrebonne Ouest."
- "Mountainview Elementary Zone." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on December 8, 2014.
- "Saint Jude Elementary School Zone Map." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on December 8, 2014.
- Media related to Saint-Placide, Quebec at Wikimedia Commons
|Ottawa River / Rigaud, Hudson|