Saint Albert High School (Council Bluffs, Iowa)
|Saint Albert High School|
|400 Gleason Avenue
Council Bluffs, Iowa, (Pottawattamie County) 51503
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Principal||Paul Hans |
|Faculty||29.4 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.9:1|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Hawk 10|
|Team name||Falcons & Saintes|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Ken Schreiber|
Saint Albert High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA. It is part of a chain of private schools going from pre-kindergarten through 12th Grade. Saint Albert's Mascot is a falcon for the boys, while the girls are known as the saintes. It is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Des Moines.
Saint Albert was dedicated on June 7, 1964. It replaced Saint Francis, Mount Loretto, and St. Joseph High Schools.
- Business: Students are required to take Word Processing and Computer Applications. There are courses on personal finance, business law and accounting. There are two computer labs.
- English: Four years of English courses involve writing and researching term papers, studying American and British literature, poetry, short stories and prose. Vocabulary and use of grammar are covered in Freshmen and Sophomore English. Students also can participate in Journalism where they publish the yearbook and school newspaper, The Accipiter.
- Mathematics: There are three years of mathematics courses, including Algebra I and II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus and Calculus.
- Physical Education: There are four years of Physical Education classes.
- Religion (Catholic): Students must take four years of religion classes, which cover topics including the Old and New Testaments, church history and reformation, morality, relationships, social justice, prayer and liturgy, and contemporary religious issues.
- Science: There is a Science and Technology wing, with Biology, Chemistry and Physics labs. There is an option to earn three years of Science courses in Earth Science and Environmental Science.
- Social Studies: The history of the world and the United States are studied by Freshmen and Sophomores. Juniors learn about government and economics. Students study current events and modern U.S. history. Three years of Social Studies is required.
Saint Albert's football program earned four state championships between 2006 and 2012, including titles in 2006 and 2007. In 2009 they again took the state title to finish an undefeated season.
Notes and references
- "St Albert Jr/Sr High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved on 2009-07-02. "Students: 350 (2006-2007)"
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- SAHS. "Saint Alberts High School History". Retrieved 2007-05-11.