Saint Bernard, Southern Leyte
Map of Southern Leyte with St Bernard highlighted
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|District||Lone district of Southern Leyte|
|Established||December 9, 1954|
|• Mayor||Napoleon Lim Cuaton|
|• Total||100.20 km2 (38.69 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||280/km2 (730/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)53|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
|Electorate||16,407 voters as of 2016|
It is situated on the Pacific coast and the first town form the mountain road from the eastern side of Sogod Bay.
- Nueva Esperanza (Cabac-an)
- Himatagon (Pob.)
- San Isidro
- Santa Cruz
- Tambis I
- Tambis II
This town was formerly the largest barrio of San Juan, then known as "Himatagon". On December 9, 1954, President Ramon Magsaysay issued Executive Order No. 84, converting the barrio as a municipality of Saint Bernard. It was through the efforts of Leyte Governor Bernardo Torres that the conversion was made possible in response to the lingering clamour of the inhabitants for an independent and separate municipality from San Juan.
On February 17, 2006, a tragic series of mudslides killed over 1100 residents in Barangay Guinsaugon. Affected families were treated by the Philippine government and other non-government organizations from all over the world. New houses were built, and the people chose New Guinsaugon as the name of their village located near the town proper.
|Population census of Saint Bernard|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority |
Saint Bernard economy are based in agriculture and marine culture. The municipality is considered among the fastest growing economy in the pacific area of Southern Leyte.
Places of interest
- Hindag An Falls- Brgy. Hindag-an
- Tinago Beach- Brgy. Magbagacay
- Tinago Spring Falls- Brgy. Ayahag
- Lipanto Marine Sanctuary- Brgy. Lipanto
- Himbangan Bird Sanctuary- Brgy. Himbangan
- Sangat Cave and Beach- Brgy. Hindag-an
- Saub Beach- Brgy. Lipanto
- Ground Zero Memorial Park & Lawigan River- Lawigan River, access at Brgy Tambis 1
- Libas River- Brgy. Libas
- Kissbone Cove and Resort- Brgy. Magbagacay
- Sto. Nino Shrine - Sitio Cansi, Brgy. Himatagon
- Mun. Disaster Management Office - LGU Compound, Municipal Building, Brgy. Himatagon
There are accessible Elementary Schools in every Barangay in the Municipality of Saint Bernard as of 2011 census. List of Secondary Schools in the Municipality of Saint Bernard.
- Tambis National High School- Brgy. Tambis 1
- Himbangan National High School- Brgy. Himbangan
- Cristo Rey Regional High School- Brgy.Malibago
- New Guinsaugon National High School - Relocation area of New Guinsaugon, Magbagacay
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Province: Southern Leyte". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Historical Background". Municipality of Saint Bernard, Southern Leyte. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Mud wipes out Philippines village". BBC News. 17 February 2006. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- S. G. Evans; R. H. Guthrie; N. J. Roberts; N. F. Bishop (2007). "The disastrous 17 February 2006 rockslide-debris avalanche on Leyte Island, Philippines: a catastrophic landslide in tropical mountain terrain" (PDF). Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences. 7 (1). Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Southern Leyte". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint Bernard, Southern Leyte.|
- St. Bernard, Southern Leyte Official Website
- More photos and information on St. Bernard, Southern Leyte
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Local Governance Performance Management System