Saint Dominic Academy
|Saint Dominic Academy|
|2572 Kennedy Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ, (Hudson County) 07304
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic
|Head of school||Barbara Griffin|
|Faculty||25.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.0:1|
Royal Blue and|
|Slogan||Empowering Women for Leadership since 1878|
|Athletics||Athletic Director, John Nagel|
|Athletics conference||Hudson County Interscholastic League|
|Nickname||SDA; Saint Dom's|
|Team name||Blue Devils|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Publication||Elan (literary magazine)|
|Academic Dean||Guendolyn Farrales|
|Dean of Students||Sr. Mary Lou Bauman, O.P.|
|Admissions Director||Andrea Apruzzese|
|Advancement Director||Kate Lillis-Magnus|
|Director of Finance||Sharon Buge|
|7th/8th Grade Coordinator||Mary Ann McLean|
Saint Dominic Academy (SDA) is a private college-preparatory for girls in seventh through twelfth grades, located in Jersey City, in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. The school, which is situated within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark, and is administered by the Dominican Sisters of Caldwell, New Jersey, has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1991.
The school was founded in 1878 by a community of nuns from New York, with the objective to educate children of immigrants, primarily German. On March 7, 1942, SDA moved to its present location on Kennedy Boulevard. In 1994, a new wing was open with new computer labs, science and language labs. The school celebrated its 135th birthday on October 23, 2013. In 2015, Saint Dominic Academy received a generous donation of a building located on Fairmount Avenue in Jersey City, NJ. This building was once the Jersey City Women's Club and is now known as Siena Hall, which opened in April 2016 and is used for school-related events. 
Certain minimum requirements have been established by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and Saint Dominic Academy for graduation. These are expressed in terms of successful completion of specific courses and credits.
- 4 years of English
- 4 years of Math (exceeds the NJ State standards)
- 3 years of History
- 3 years of Science
- 2 years of a World Language (Spanish and French)
- 4 years of Religious Studies
- 4 years of Physical Education and Drivers Education
- 1 semester of Art and Music
- 1 semester of Computer Literacy
- 4 electives
- Community service hours vary per grade level and are required for graduation
Academic Levels - College Preparatory/Honors/Advanced Placement:
- 68 College-preparatory (CP) courses
- 18 Honors level courses
- 7 Advanced Placement courses
- 200 Virtual High School courses
- 50 College Level courses earning credit from Saint Peter’s University
- 4 College Level courses earning credit from Seton Hall University
Physical education courses are conducted at Saint Peter's University located just a few blocks away from the high school. Students have use of the University's gym/athletic facilities including fitness center, basketball and tennis courts, jogging track, and a competitive swimming pool.
Saint Dominic Academy Blue Devils compete in the Hudson County Interscholastic League, which includes private and parochial high schools in Hudson County and operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association.
The school's interscholastic sports include:
SDA hosts a range of after-school clubs. These clubs consist of a moderator and an executive board made up of seniors (normally) and are elected by the fellow members of that club. It is encouraged to join as many clubs as possible by the school. Some of the clubs that are run are:
- Anime Club
- Asian Interest Club
- Dominican Youth in Action Club
- Drama Club
- Glee Club and Dominoes
- Hospitality Club
- Liturgical Choir
- Math Club
- Metropolitan Club
- Mock Trial Club
- Multicultural-World Languages Club
- National Honor Society
- Peer Ministry Program
- Elan Literary Magazine
- The Trumpet (Newspaper)
- Domenica (Yearbook)
- Student Council
- SOFAR (Student Organization for Animal Rights)
- Student Ambassador Club
- School Data for St. Dominic Academy, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 20, 2016.
- Saint Dominic Academy, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 20, 2016.
- Saint Dominic Academy, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed January 3, 2012.
- History, Saint Dominic Academy. Accessed November 20, 2016.
- "Siena Hall - St Dominic Academy". St Dominic Academy. Retrieved 2016-11-03.
- Member School Directory, New Jersey Association of Independent Schools. Accessed November 20, 2016.
- School Profile, Saint Dominic Academy. Accessed November 20, 2016.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 20, 2016.
- Home Page, Hudson County Interscholastic League. Accessed November 20, 2016.