Saint Francis High School (La Cañada Flintridge, California)
|St. Francis High School|
200 North Foothill Boulevard|
La Cañada Flintridge, California 91011
|Motto||A Catholic Tradition of Enriching the Mind and Heart Since 1946.|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic; Order of Friars Minor Capuchin|
|Patron saint(s)||Francis of Assisi|
|Teaching staff||37.1 (on a Full time equivalent basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.2|
|Color(s)||Brown and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Mission League|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
St. Francis High School is a Catholic college preparatory high school for boys, located in La Cañada Flintridge, California, USA. Founded in 1946 on the lands bought from the Flintridge Country Club, it is owned and directed by the Capuchin Friars of the Western American Province of Our Lady of Angels. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
Advanced placement courses offered in junior and senior year include: Spanish Language, Language and Composition, United States History, Calculus AB, Biology, Chemistry, Latin or Spanish 4, Spanish Language, English Literature, U.S. Government, Micro Economics, Statistics, Calculus BC, and Physics.
In 2012, St. Francis placed first in California and second nationally in the Academic Decathlon.
The demographic breakdown for the 675 boys enrolled in 2013-2014 was:
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.4%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 9.2%
- Black - 2.1%
- Hispanic - 23.3%
- White - 50.8%
- Multiracial - 14.2%
- Cross country
- Water polo
- Christian Bergman, MLB pitcher
- Jason Hirsh, MLB pitcher
- Mark Loretta, MLB second baseman
- Lloyd Monserratt, California political & community leader
- Mike Newlin, NBA player
- Tony O'Dell, actor
- Daniel Paladini (2003), Major League Soccer midfielder
- Peter Vagenas, soccer player
- Carl Verheyen, musician
- Mike Vitar, actor
- Matt Young, baseball player
- Gregg Zaun, MLB catcher
- "Search for Private Schools - School Detail for St Francis High School". nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- WASC-ACS. "WASC-Accrediting Commission for Schools". Retrieved June 5, 2009.
- "Home – Academics General Information – St. Francis High School". www.sfhs.net. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- "Academic Decathlon Website, National". Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "General Information – Athletics – St. Francis High School". www.sfhs.net. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Gordon, Grant (June 9, 2010). "Bergman has a 'pretty big day'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Jason Hirsh Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Mark Loretta Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Congressional Record, Volume 149 Issue 92 (Friday, June 20, 2003)". Gpo.gov. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Notable St. Francis Soccer Alumni" Archived 2014-02-22 at Archive.is, St. Francis High School (accessed 2014-02-21).
- Matthew Kredell, "Lesson Taken From a Loss: Westlake Hangs with St. Francis Team", Los Angeles Daily News, December 11, 2001 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). ("Daniel Paladini of St. Francis was named the tournament's most valuable player.")
- "Los Angeles Galaxy add midfielder Daniel Paladini to developmental roster", Major League Soccer, January 22, 2010. (Paladini "was twice named an all-state selection as a high schooler at St. Francis (2000-01).")
- "Matt Young Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Gregg Zaun Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.