Saint Francis Hospital & Medical Center
|Saint Francis Hospital & Medical Center|
|Location||114 Woodland Street, Hartford, Connecticut, United States|
|Affiliated university||University of Connecticut|
|Lists||Hospitals in Connecticut|
Saint Francis Hospital & Medical Center is a 617-bed acute care hospital located on Woodland Street in Hartford, Connecticut. The hospital was established in 1897 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Chambéry. With 617 beds and 65 bassinets, it is the largest Catholic hospital in New England.
Saint Francis has been affiliated with Mount Sinai Hospital since 1990. This was the first recorded instance of collaboration between a Catholic hospital and a Jewish hospital in United States. The two institutions formalized the corporate merger in 1995. In addition, the hospital maintains affiliations with Saint Mary's Hospital, Waterbury, which is independently licensed. Saint Francis, a regional referral center, has major clinical concentrations in cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, women's services and rehabilitation.
In 2008, they broke ground on the ten story addition, the John T. O'Connell Tower. Opened in March 2011, this addition included 19 replacement operating rooms, 72 replacement medical/surgical patient beds, and a Helipad on the roof of the building. It includes six orthopedic operating rooms and sixty-three replacement inpatient orthopedic beds for the Connecticut Joint Replacement Institute. Also featuring an enlarged emergency department, expanding the treatment area from forty-nine to sixty-eight treatment bays and increasing space for ambulances from six to ten parking spots.
In January 2012, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center received its second PureCell System's Model 400 phosphoric acid fuel cell, which will provide power to the Mount Sinai Rehabilitation Hospital campus. The 400 kW PureCell System will provide nearly half of the building’s electrical needs as well as providing thermal energy; the installation prevents the release of more than 383 metric tons of carbon dioxide annually – the equivalent of planting more than 88 acres of trees, the hospital claims.
- "St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center". US News & World Report.
- "Saint Francis at a Glance". Saint Francis Care. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- Ryan, Bill (22 November 1998). "The View From/St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford; How Art, and an Artist, Join in the Healing Process". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- "SAINT FRANCIS BREAKS GROUND FOR JOHN T. O’CONNELL TOWER - 10-Story Facility To Host New ED, Surgery, Private Patient Rooms | Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, CT". Stfranciscare.org. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "UTC Power Lands at Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center’s Mount Sinai Campus — CBIA's Green Business Center". .cbia.com. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Centre Installs Second UTC Fuel Cell". Fuelcelltoday.com. Retrieved 2013-11-22.