This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017)
|Endowment||$34.8 million (2019)|
|Students||2,467 (fall 2016)|
|Campus||Suburban, 84 acres (34 ha)|
|Colors||Blue, gold, white|
|NCAA Division III|
The University of Saint Joseph is a private Roman Catholic university in West Hartford, Connecticut. It was founded in 1932 by the Sisters of Mercy of Connecticut. The university is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education.
In 2004 psychology Professor Pamela Trotman Reid became the first African American President of the university when she was appointed in 2008. She served the university until her retirement in 2014.
In November 2016, the University of Saint Joseph began its comprehensive research and review of becoming a coeducational institution. Based on this review, the university began admitting male students to all full-time undergraduate programs in the fall of 2018.
The University of Saint Joseph has maintained a distinctive Georgian brick architecture in most of its 19 buildings, including five residence halls, a library, student life building, administration and classroom buildings, and an arts center with a theater and art gallery, among others. The athletic complex features a six-lane pool, gymnasium, suspended jogging track, dance studio, fitness center, outdoor track, softball field, and tennis courts.
The buildings are arranged around two tree-lined quadrangles on an 84-acre (340,000 m2) campus designed by the Olmsted Brothers. Approximately 45 percent of the full-time undergraduate students live on campus. There are 1,039 undergraduates in the Undergraduate Programs.
The School of Pharmacy is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education; it is located in the XL Center complex in downtown Hartford, CT.
Saint Joseph College teams participate as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division III. The Blue Jays are a member of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC). Women's sports include basketball, cross country, field hockey, lacrosse, softball, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis and volleyball. There are also eight club sports.
- "History, Mission, & Core Values of University of Saint Joseph | USJ West Hartford, CT".
- As of June 30, 2019. "U.S. and Canadian 2019 NTSE Participating Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2019 Endowment Market Value, and Percentage Change in Market Value from FY18 to FY19 (Revised)". National Association of College and University Business Officers and TIAA. Retrieved September 25, 2020.
- "About Us". usj.edu.
- Connecticut Institutions – NECHE, New England Commission of Higher Education, retrieved May 26, 2021
- "APA Profile". American Psychological Association. Retrieved 15 June 2021.
- "Retirement Announcement". University of Saint Joseph. 3 October 2014. Retrieved 15 June 2021.
- University of Saint Joseph (June 14, 2017). "University of Saint Joseph Opens Full-Time Undergraduate Programs to Men". Archived from the original on 2017-06-17. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- "Sports at USJ". usjbluejays.com.
- "Jim Calhoun Officially Named Head Men's Basketball Coach". Saint Joseph CT. 2018-09-18. Retrieved 2018-10-18.