St. Margaret's Secondary School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|St. Margaret's Secondary School
Sekolah Menengah St Margaret
|111 Farrer Road, Singapore, 259240
|Motto||Charity, Patience, Devotion|
|Founder||Mrs Maria Dyer|
|Affiliations||St. Margaret's Primary School
Saint Andrew's Junior College
St. Margaret’s Secondary School (SMSS) is an autonomous government-aided girls’ secondary school in Singapore, under the purview of the Anglican Diocese of Singapore. It is the first girls’ school in Singapore and is often regarded as the oldest existing girls’ school in the South East Asia.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2017)
St. Margaret’s School is the oldest girls’ school in Singapore and the Far East. It was founded in 1842 by Maria Dyer, a missionary of the London Missionary Society.
It was known first as the Chinese Girls’ School, then as the Church of England Zenana Missionary (CEZMS) School in Singapore, before being renamed St. Margaret’s School.
The secondary section was split from the primary in 1960 and it moved into new premises along Farrer Road.
Identity & culture
The green background represents creation, of which we are a part. It stands for life and activity, creativity and growth.
The white band running diagonally across from the upper left hand corner to the lower right hand corner stands for purity in thought, word and deed.
The white cross represents the Christian mission of the school. Like a directional compass, it shows the right way to take and it points us to God's love, truth and provision.
Charity, Patience and Devotion
The school is named after Queen Margaret of Scotland who was known for many good qualities, among them, love (charity), patience and devotion.
The school uniform is a one piece dress which features a dark green polka-dotted top, a dark green skirt up to knee length and a dark green school tie with the school logo pinned at the bottom. There are also separate PE shorts, a shirt with different colours depending on different houses and a CCA skirt. White school socks with or without the SMSS logo can be worn. A name tag is worn. The only jacket allowed is the black school jacket or any plain black jacket, and earrings are restricted to plain studs of green, white, black, gold or silver. Hair accessories can only be dark green, white and black. Despite this, coloured top undergarments are not allowed - only white or nude colors are permissible.
Being a non-special programme secondary school, St. Margaret’s Secondary School offers three academic streams, namely the four-year Express course, as well as the Normal Course, comprising Normal (Academic) and Normal (Technical) academic tracks.
O Level Express Course
- Subjects indicated with ' * ' are mandatory subjects.
- All students in Singapore are required to undertake a Mother Tongue Language as an examinable subject, as indicated by ' ^ '.
- "SPA" in Pure Science subjects refers to the incorporation of School-based Science Practical Assessment, which 20% of the subject result in the national examination are determined by school-based practical examinations, supervised by the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board. The SPA Assessment has been replaced by one Practical Assessment in the 2018 O Levels.
|Sciences||Language & Hunanities||Arts & Aesthetics|
The Normal Course is a nationwide 4-year programme leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination, which runs either the Normal (Academic) curriculum or Normal (Technical) curriculum, abbreviated as N(A) and N(T) respectively.
Normal (Academic) Course
In the Normal (Academic) course, students offer 5-8 subjects in the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination.Compulsory subjects include:
- English Language
- Mother Tongue Language
- Combined Humanities
A 5th year leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Ordinary Level examination is available to N(A) students who perform well in their Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination. Students can move from one course to another based on their performance and the assessment of the school principal and teachers.
Normal (Technical) Course
The Normal (Technical) course prepares students for a technical-vocational education at the Institute of Technical Education. Students will offer 5-7 subjects in the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination. The curriculum is tailored towards strengthening students’ proficiency in English and Mathematics. Students take English Language, Mathematics, Basic Mother Tongue and Computer Applications as compulsory subjects.
- Lee Lin Chin, TV Newsreader and presenter, SBS-TV, Sydney, Australia
- Eunice Olsen: Former Nominated Member of Parliament; television presenter
- Dalreena Poonam Gill: Beauty Queen - Miss Singapore World 2014, Miss Singapore India 2013 (Third); soccer referee
- Daphne Khoo: Fourth, Singapore Idol
- Swan Bee, Chan (7 January 1960). "Founders Saw Little Girls Sold In Streets". The Singapore Free Press. Retrieved 12 November 2017 – via NewspaperSG.
- "school-rules". stmargaretssec.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- "Express Course Curriculum". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "School Information Service". Ministry of Education, Singapore. Ministry of Education, Singapore. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "GCE O-Level Syllabuses Examined in 2018". Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB). Retrieved 2017-04-16.
- "Secondary School Courses". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "Normal Course Curriculum". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.