Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church (Heliopolis)
|Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church|
The domes of Saint Mark's Church, standing over the horizon.
|Location||Cleopatra Street, Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt|
|Denomination||Coptic Orthodox Church|
|Founder(s)||Pope Cyril V of Alexandria|
|Division||The Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate|
|Bishop(s)||HH Pope Tawadros II|
|Priest(s)||Fr Dawood Lamie and Fr Boules George|
St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church is the first Coptic parish that was built and established in the district of Heliopolis in Cairo, Egypt. Being one of several Coptic Orthodox Churches in Heliopolis, St. Mark's Church is specifically located on Cleopatra Street, near the Cleopatra Hospital.
The idea of establishing a church in Heliopolis started out in 1917. A committee was formed, and eventually, the cornerstone was founded on Friday, June 16, 1922, under the papacy of Pope Cyril V. Prayers were held in a temporary location and started in January 1925. This was the case until 1930, when the construction was finally complete. The late Fr. Ibrahim Luke served as the first priest, and was at St. Mark's Church until he died in 1950. Today, there are seventeen priests that serve Saint Mark's Church alone.
Some of the adjacent land was purchased in 1948 to build the church hall and chapel. It was opened by Pope Cyril VI on June 5, 1964, and the new altar was consecrated, bearing the name of Saint Menas.
Father Daoud Lamei is Coptic leader who has inspired others. He is married. He has been serving at St. Mark's Church in Heliopolis since he was sixteen years old. He is a prolific producer of videos and books of Coptic Orthodox teachings, and his sermons are presented on Coptic Television channels and online, on Youtube and other sites. 
As Saint Mark's Church has had a long history, there were several occasions upon which there were Papal visits made by different Coptic Popes. Among them are:
- Pope Joseph II: laid the cornerstone of the church hall.
- Pope Cyril VI: in 1960 for prayer and in 1964 for the opening of the church hall.
- Pope Shenouda III: visited several times; in 1973 and 1981 for preaching, as well a more recent visit in 2000, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Fr. Ibrahim Luke's departure.
- Coptic Orthodox Church
- Christian Egypt
- Coptic architecture
- List of Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States
- Coptic Cairo
- Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria
- Saint Barbara Church in Coptic Cairo
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral, Cairo
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Alexandria)
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Azbakeya)
- Saint Mary and Saint Abasikhiron Coptic Orthodox Church
- Church of Saint Menas (Cairo)
- St Mary and St Mercurius Coptic Orthodox Church
- Saint Mercurius Church in Coptic Cairo
- Saints Sergius and Bacchus Church (Abu Serga)
- The Hanging Church
- Church of the Holy Virgin (Babylon El-Darag)
- Church of the Virgin Mary (Haret Zuweila)
- "St.Mark Church, Heliopolis, Cairo". His Vine. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- The official website of St. Mark's Church (Heliopolis). Accessed August 23, 2008.
- Egypt Daily News. Egypt's Hospitals. Accessed August 23, 2008.
- English El Keraza. Dated March 7, 2007. Accessed August 23, 2008
- Shahid, Dr. Shahira Abdel (May 26, 2016). Mi colección Mi historial Libros en Google Play Roadmap to Success: Inspiring Journeys of Ten Iconic Coptic Leaders. Archway Publishing. ISBN 9781480829770. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church (Heliopolis).|