Saint Mary Church (Haret Elroum)
|Saint Mary Coptic Orthodox Church|
ϯⲉⲕⲕⲗⲏⲥⲓⲁ ⲛ̀ϯⲑⲉⲟⲇⲟⲕⲟⲥ ⲉⲑ̅ⲩ̅ ⲙⲁⲣⲓⲁ ⲛ̀ϯⲣⲁⲃⲏ ⲛ̀ⲣⲱⲙⲉⲟⲥ
|Location||Haret Elroum, Cairo|
|Denomination||Coptic Orthodox Church|
|Dedication||Mary, mother of Jesus|
|Division||The Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate|
|Bishop(s)||Pope Tawadros II|
Saint Mary Coptic Orthodox Church in Haret el-Roum (Coptic: ϯⲉⲕⲕⲗⲏⲥⲓⲁ ⲛ̀ϯⲑⲉⲟⲇⲟⲕⲟⲥ ⲉⲑ̅ⲩ̅ ⲙⲁⲣⲓⲁ ⲛ̀ϯⲣⲁⲃⲏ ⲛ̀ⲣⲱⲙⲉⲟⲥ The Church of Holy Mother of God in Roman quarter) is a Coptic Orthodox church in el-Ghoureya, Cairo near the Saint Theodore.
From 1660 to 1800 the church was the Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria. In 1660 Pope Matthew IV of Alexandria transferred the seat to Church of the Virgin Mary to Saint Mary Church, where it remained until 1800 when Pope Mark VIII transferred the patriarchal seat to Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral, Azbakeya.
Saint Mary Church grew in importance as the centre of the Coptic Church. Several Coptic Popes are buried in the church.
Saint Mary Church (Haret Elroum) was rebuilt several times, and in 1794 Ibrahim El-Gohary renovated the church. It was damaged by fire during the reign of Pope Mark VIII (1797–1809) but was restored and rebuilt.
- Coptic Orthodox Church
- Christian Egypt
- Coptic architecture
- List of Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States
- Coptic Cairo
- Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria
- Saint Barbara Church in Coptic Cairo
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral, Cairo
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Alexandria)
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Azbakeya)
- Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church (Heliopolis)
- Saint Mary and Saint Abasikhiron Coptic Orthodox Church
- Church of Saint Menas (Cairo)
- St Mary and St Mercurius Coptic Orthodox Church
- Saint Mercurius Church in Coptic Cairo
- Saints Sergius and Bacchus Church (Abu Serga)
- The Hanging Church
- Church of the Holy Virgin (Babylon El-Darag)
- Church of the Virgin Mary (Haret Zuweila)
|This article about a church building or other Christian place of worship in Egypt is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a Coptic Orthodox church building is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|