Saint Petersburg Academic University
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Санкт-Петербургский Академический университет — научно-образовательный центр нанотехнологий РАН|
St Petersburg Academic University — Nanotechnology Research and Education Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences (the Academic University, SPbAU RAS) was founded in 1997 as Research and Education Center of the Ioffe Institute to integrate science and education in the field of physics and information technologies. It is the only university in the Russian Academy of Sciences. The word "Academic" in its name stems from the Academy of Sciences, the organization that unites numerous research institutes in Russia. It was initiated by the director of the Ioffe Institute, vice-president of the RAS Academician and Nobel prize winner Zhores Alferov, who has been its head up to the present.
The official founding of the university took place on October 8, 2002.
In 2009 it was reorganized by joining with St. Petersburg Research and Education Centre of Physics and Technology and with School of Physics and Technology (established in 1987), which is one of the best undergraduate schools in Russia. Then the university got its present name.
In 2010 the University obtained the status of National Research University of Russia
The idea of tripartite “composition” of the Academy of Sciences, Academic University and Gymnasium was proposed by Peter the Great as far back as during the Academy’s foundation. Three centuries later it came true in the Academic University — the institution that unites laboratories, departments of the university and lyceum. Training senior school, university and post-graduate students in direct contact with active scientists, who teach them at lectures and seminars and also in the laboratories, is in line with advanced world tendencies of training scientific brainpower.
The university consists of five departments:
- Department of Mathematics and Information Technology;
- Department of Physics and Technology of Nanostructures;
- Department of Physics of Condensed Matter;
- Department of Theoretical Physics;
- Department of Foreign Languages.
The Academic University has Masters and PhD programs. The MSc programs (state license #0724, February 17, 2011) are as follows:
- Theoretical computer science: The curriculum includes basic and advanced courses in algorithms, computational complexity, discrete mathematics, mathematical logic, cryptography and numerous more specialized subjects of contemporary computer science. However, the principal thing is doing research under supervision of active researchers (in particular, several members of Steklov Institute of Mathematics at St. Petersburg).
- Software engineering: The curriculum is composed in collaboration with the largest IT-companies of Russia and is based on the international standards in software engineering. The main distinctive feature of the program is a project-oriented educational model, where students are involved (individually or in groups) in real projects development supervised by professional software engineers.
- Algorithmic Bioinformatics: The curriculum includes advanced algorithms and data structures with application to large-scale data mining in molecular biology.
- Theoretical and mathematical physics
- Physics of Low-dimensional State
The address of the university is Khlopin St. 8/3, St. Petersburg, Russia. The dormitory is at Maurice Toreza Ave. 37/2, St. Petersburg.