Saint Petersburg State University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics
|Санкт-Петербу́ргский национа́льный иссле́довательский университе́т информацио́нных техноло́гий, меха́ники и о́птики|
|Location||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
ITMO University ( Russian: Университет ИТМО), former Saint Petersburg National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, abbreviated as SPbNRU ITMO, is a Russian technical university located in St. Petersburg, Russia. It trains specialists in cutting-edge technologies directed at science and technical development. The university is awarded a National Research University category in 2009. It belongs to the list of top 15 Russian universities included in the government program of improving international competitiveness among leading research and educational centers.
Today, ITMO University has over 13,000 students, 30 academic departments and about 1000 teaching staff. The main university campus is on Kronverkskiy Prospect, 49.
University scientific interests are concentrated in the fields of information technologies, photonics and optics.
- 1 ITMO University history
- 2 ITMO University management
- 3 University Administration
- 4 Honored doctors of university
- 5 Structure. University institutes and faculties
- 6 Science and Innovation
- 7 World Cup Programming
- 8 ITMO University rankings
- 9 References
- 10 External links
ITMO University history
University foundation and development
ITMO University started in 1900 with the creation of St. Petersburg Vocational School with optical, mechanical and clock departments that trained masters of precision instruments and optics was opened. The university's formation was brought about by the growing needs of the country for qualified experts in tools design. Later it was transformed into the Leningrad College of Fine Mechanics and Optics (1920), and later – into the Leningrad Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics (LIFMO) (1930).
Over the years, the Institute developed as a technical college for engineers of a wide range of specialties. In 1980 LIFMO was awarded with the Order of the Red Banner for achievements in training of highly qualified specialists for the national economy and the development of scientific research. In 1994, the Institute was given the status of a technical university due to results of the State certification, and in 1998, 2003, 2008 and 2012 the status of the University was reconfirmed.
Currently ITMO is a leading IT university in Russia. In 2007, it became the winner of innovative educational program of universities in Russia for 2007-2008. In 2009, the University became the winner of the multi-stage competition among the leading universities of Russia, which resulted in acquiring the status of "National Research University". The Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation approved a program for the development of the university for the period of 2009-2018.
In 2011, the University was renamed into the St. Petersburg National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics. Over the last decade Academy of Management Methods and Technologies (LIMTU) was added to the ITMO structure as well as Interdisciplinary Institute of Professional Training in New Areas of Science and Technology and the State Scientific Center of Computer Telecommunication Networks of Higher Education, followed by St. Petersburg College of Marine Instrument Making, St. Petersburg State University of Refrigeration and Biotechnology and St. Petersburg Economic and Technological College of D.I. Mendeleev.
In 2014 university implemented rebranding and holds the name of ITMO University.
ITMO University management
Since 1996, the rector of the university is Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation, Chairman of the Council of Rectors of St. Petersburg (2004), vice-president of the Russian Union of Rectors (2006), corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Education, corresponding member Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor Vladimir Vasilyev.
- Vladimir Vasilyev, rector;
- Yuri Leonidovich Kolesnikov, Vice-rector for educational and organizational and administrative work;
- Stephen J. Hagen., Vice-rector for change management;
- Vladimir O. Nikiforov, Vice-rector for Research;
- Andrey V. Ivanov, Vice-rector for Economics and Finance;
- Alexander Shehonin, Vice-rector for educational and methodical work;
- Alexander Dorofeev, Vice-rector for economical activity.
Honored doctors of university
- Askar Akayev, Professor, foreign member of the Russian Academy of Sciences (2000), President Kyrgyz Republic, graduated from LITMO (1968)
- Niklaus Wirth, a computer science professor, Honorary Doctor of Sciences
- Wilfred Joseph Goodman, Doctor of Electrical Engineering (Stanford University), former president of the American Optical Society (OSA), the ex-president of the International Commission for Optics (ICO), the ex-chairman of the Prize Committee of the International Society on Optics and Photonics (SPIE), former chief editor of American optical society (OSA)
- Yuri Denisyuk, member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, a graduate LITMO (1954), one of the founders of optical holography
- Robert Elliot Kahn, the inventor of protocols TCP and IP, underlying the functioning of the Internet
- Ilya Klebanov, the authorized representative President in North-West Federal District (2003-2011), Director General JSC "LOMO" (1992-1997)
- Bertrand Meyer, Professor, Head of Software Engineering in Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule
- Mikhail Miroshnikov, scientific consultant of the Department of Computer photonics, corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Gury Timofeevich Petrovsky, Professor, Director General VSC "SOI them. SI Vavilov"(1994-2002)
- Dmitry V. Sergeyev, the first deputy governor of St. Petersburg, a graduate LITMO (1963)
- Bjarne Stroustrup, a professor of the University of Texas A & M, Master of Computer Science, University of Aarhus, the founder of language C ++
- Joseph Feliksberger, Doctor of Science, Head of Applied Technology Degussa, PCI Augsburg
- Dale Fuller, president and CEO " Borland Labs, Inc"
- Gunter hyun, Professor, Ph.D., Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of the Technical University of Ilmenau
- Tony Hoare, one of the founders of discrete mathematics, the author of the algorithm "Quicksort» (Quicksort), the theory of communicating sequential processes (CSP), Hoare logic, is widely used for software verification
- John Edward Hopcroft, a specialist in the field of computer science at Cornell University
- Klaus-Peter Tsoher, Professor of Technology Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of the Technical University of Ilmenau
- Yang Shichin, rector of Harbin Institute of Technology in 1985-2002 gg.
Structure. University institutes and faculties
- Faculty of Humanities;
- Faculty of Natural Sciences;
- Faculty of Physical Engineering;
- Faculty of Informational Technologies and Programming;
- Faculty of Computer Technologies and Control;
- Master's Corporate Faculty;
- Faculty of Optical Information Systems and Technologies;
- Faculty of Advanced Training of Teachers;
- Faculty of Higher Qualification Expert Training;
- Faculty of Career Guidance and Preparatory Training;
- Faculty of Secondary Vocational Education;
- Department of Infocommunication Technologies;
- Faculty of Fine Mechanics and Technologies;
- Faculty of Photonics and Optical Information Technology;
- Department of Distance Education;
- Academy of Management Methods and Techniques;
- Institute of Integrated Military Education;
- International Business and Law Institute;
- Refrigeration and Biotechnology
- Faculty of Refrigeration Engineering;
- Faculty of Food Engineering and Automation;
- Faculty of Food Technology.
- Faculty of Cryogenic Engineering and Conditioning;
- Faculty of Economics and Environmental Management;
- Faculty of Evening and Correspondence Education;
Science and Innovation
International Scientific Departments
As part of the program for improving international competitiveness of the leading Russian universities, ITMO University formed international scientific departments in order to carry out joint research and collaborative activities between the ITMO scientists and their colleagues from the leading world centers for science and education. By 2014 university has formed 49 operating International Scientific Departments (ISD) headed by leading scientists from USA, UK, Germany, Australia, China and others.
In order to strengthen governmental support for the development of science and innovations in higher education and to improve the quality of higher education, on April 9, 2010, the Government of the Russian Federation instituted monetary grants that are made available on a competitive basis to support of scientific research projects implemented by the world’s leading scientists at Russian institutions of higher learning (Resolution No.220 of the Government of the Russian Federation of April 9) ). From some 507 applications, 39 were awarded funding, including two from ITMO University.
|Country||Leading scientist||Field of science||Research field|
|Australia||Prof. Yuri S. Kivshar||Physics||Metamaterials|
|Netherlands||Prof. Peter Sloot||Information Technologies and Computational Science||Promising Computational Science|
In 2013 ITMO University won two more megagrants from the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia Federation.
|Country||Leading scientist||Field of science||Research field|
|France||Prof. Romeo Ortega||Computational and Information Sciences||Robust and adaptive control system, communication and computing|
|Ireland||Prof Yurii Gun'ko||Nanotechnologies||Anisotropic and optically active nanostrucutres|
Small Innovative Enterprises (Start-ups)
Since 15 August 2009 Russian universities are able to form small innovative enterprises according to Federal Law №217 of August 2, 2009 N 217-FZ "On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation on the establishment of budget scientific and educational institutions, business entities for the purpose of practical application (implementation) of the results of intellectual activity".
Up to 2014 ITMO University was the launchpad for 39 small innovative enterprises.
ITMO University start-up activities include:
• bionformation technologies;
• information technologies;
• nanosystems, nanotechnologies and nanomaterials;
• mechatronics technologies, mycrosystems technologies;
• information processing, storing, transfer and securing technologies;
• refrigeration system design;
• technology of the security and life sustainability of the population and dangerous objects under terrorist threats;
• laser technologies and galography;
• energy efficiency and conservation.
World Cup Programming
In 2004, the ITMO University for the first time won the International Collegiate Programming Contest (ACM-ICPC), and by 2015, the ITMO University became the first six-time winner of the championship.
|Year||Venue of the final||Venue||Team||Trainer|
|2015||Morocco, Marrakesh||ITMO University - 1st place, Gold medal||Gennady Korotkevich, Boris Minaev, Artem Vasil'ev,||Andrei Stankevich|
|2014||Russia, Ekaterinburg||ITMO University - Bronze medal||Boris Minaev, Artem Vasil'ev, Adam Bardashevich||Andrei Stankevich|
|2013||Russia, St.Peterburg||ITMO University - 1st place, Gold medal||Mihail Kever, Gennady Korotkevich, Niyaz Nigmatullin||Andrei Stankevich|
|2012||Poland, Varshava||ITMO University - 1st place, Gold medal||Evgenii Kapun, Mihail Kever, Niyaz Nigmatullin||Andrei Stankevich|
|2009||Sweden, Stokgol'm||ITMO University - 1st place, Gold medal||Vladislav Isenbaev, Maksim Buzdalov, Evgenii Kapun||Andrei Stankevich|
|2008||Canada, Banff||ITMO University - 1st place, Gold medal||Dmitrii Abdrashitov, Dmitrii Paraschenko, Fedor Carev||Andrei Stankevich|
|2007||Japan, Tokio||ITMO University - 3rd place, Gold medal||Iskander Akishev, Mihail Dvorkin, Roman Satyukov|
|2005||China, Shanghai||ITMO University - 3rd place, Gold medal||Pavel Mavrin, Sergei Orshanskii, Dmitrii Pavlov||Andrei Stankevich|
|2004||Czech Republic, Praga||ITMO University - 1st place, Gold medal||Dmitrii Pavlov, Pavel Mavrin, Sergei Orshanskii||Andrei Stankevich|
|2003||USA, Beverli-Hills||ITMO University - 3rd place, Gold medal||Timofei Borodin, Aleksandr Shtuchkin, Evgenii Yujakov|
|2001||Canada, Vankuver||ITMO University - 3rd place, Gold medal||Georgii Korneev, Denis Kuznecov, Andrei Stankevich|
|2000||USA, Orlando||ITMO University - Silver medal||Georgii Korneev, Denis Kuznecov, Andrei Stankevich|
|1999||Netherlands, Eindhoven||ITMO University - 3rd place, Gold medal||Aleksandr Volkov, Matvei Kazakov, Vladimir Levkin|
The ACM-ICPC Championship in St. Petersburg
In 2013, ITMO University became the first Russian university to host the World Cup in Programming Finals. Some 120 teams from 36 countries took part in the final. Russia was presented by 15 student teams. ITMO University team won the championship and became the world's only five-time winner of ACM-ICPC championship.
ITMO University rankings
|International ranking name||2013||2014|
|«4 International Colleges & Universities»||977||936 |
|«QS University Rankings: BRICS 2014»||111-120|
ITMO University in Russian rankings:
|«4 International Colleges & Universities», Russian universities ranking||8||8|
|«Webometrics», Russian universities ranking||13||9|
|Ranking agency «Expert»||23||23||22|
|Russian Humanitarian Scientific Foundation||6|
- "RUSSOFT has named best IT-universities of Russia".
- "The list of Russian National Research Universities".
- "Attraction of the leading scientists to Russian institutions of higher learning, research organizations of the governmental academies of sciences, and governmental research centers of the Russian Federation".
- "International Research Center for Nano-Photonics and Metamaterials".
- "Федеральный закон Российской Федерации от 2 августа 2009 г. N 217-ФЗ".
- "Monitoring of small innovative enterprices of science and educaion".
- "ACM ICPC 2014 Winners".
- "Higher education search engine and directory of world universities and colleges 4icu.org".
- "National University Ranking".
- "Ranking Web of universities - Webometrics".
- "Рейтинг научно-практической результативности вузов по версии Российского научного гуманитарного фонда". 11-12-2013. Check date values in: