Location within La Côte-de-Beaupré RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||January 27, 1973|
|• Mayor||Jean-Luc Fortin|
|• Federal riding||Beauport—Côte-de-Beaupré—Île d'Orléans—Charlevoix|
|• Prov. riding||Charlevoix–
|• Total||68.10 km2 (26.29 sq mi)|
|• Land||62.64 km2 (24.19 sq mi)|
|• Density||45.6/km2 (118/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||1.8%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Area code(s)||418 and 581|
|Highways|| Route 138
Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré is a town in La Côte-de-Beaupré Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Canada, along the Saint Lawrence River, 35 kilometers (22 mi) north-east of the Quebec City. The population was 2,803 according to the Canada 2006 Census. The Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré is located in the town.
Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré stands in a rolling agricultural country, with the foothills of the Laurentian Mountains in the background. The first church was built by sailors who would often become ship-wrecked off Ile-Oeuf on their way to Quebec City. Saint Anne is the patron saint of sailors.
- Population in 2011: 2854 (2006 to 2011 population change: 1.8%)
- Population in 2006: 2803
- Population in 2001: 2752
- Population in 1996: 3023
- Population in 1991: 3146
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 1,307 (total dwellings: 1,350)
- English as first language: 0%
- French as first language: 98.2%
- English and French as first language: 0%
- Other as first language: 1.8%
The Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré is a major Roman Catholic place of pilgrimage and has a copy of Michelangelo's Pietà (the original is in the St. Peter's Basilica in Rome). The basilica is also known as a place of miracles. One of the builders of the original church, Louis Guimont, helped build the church despite having severe scoliosis and needing the aid of a crutch. When the church was complete, he was able to walk independently. Subsequent visitors to the church who have prayed have left their canes, crutches and walking aides behind as testament to their healing. The main wall when you first walk into the basilica is now completely covered with crutches.
The town is home of the Cyclorama of Jerusalem, a circular painting depicting the city of Jerusalem at the time of death of Jesus.
Canyon Sainte-Anne, lying 6 km east of the town, is a steep walled gorge. A 74 meters (243 ft) waterfall lies within the canyon. The canyon is accessible to visitors via footpaths and foot bridges.
- Reference number 56025 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire - Répertoire des municipalités: Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré census profile
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
|Wikisource has the text of the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia article Sainte Anne de Beaupré.|
- Media related to Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré at Wikimedia Commons
- Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré on MSN Groups — group of discussion open to general public, featuring historic and contemporary photography.
|Saint Lawrence River / Sainte-Famille||Saint Lawrence River / Saint-François-de-l'Île-d'Orléans|