Saints of Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica
The Gnostic Saints of Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica are a series of historical and mythological figures commemorated within the current of Thelema. They were first listed in Liber XV, the Gnostic Mass, which is the central rite of Ordo Templi Orientis and its ecclesiastical arm, Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica. They are found in the fifth Collect of Liber XV, titled "The Saints".
In Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica, as in the Catholic and Orthodox churches, a saint is usually officially recognized after his or her death, though Aleister Crowley was certainly alive when he wrote Liber XV and included himself in the list.
All of the Saints listed in the Gnostic Mass are male, and are invoked during the Collect.
The list of Saints in Liber XV remained static from the original writing in 1913 until relatively recently. However because the original list contains the names of four previous Patriarchs of EGC, Gerard Encausse, Carl Kellner, Theodor Reuss and Aleister Crowley, this has now been taken as a precedent for the addition of the names of succeeding Patriarchs, Karl Germer and Grady McMurtry.
The current Patriarch of EGC, Hymenaeus Beta, has exercised his authority to canonise further Gnostic Saints, and two have been officially added to the original list. William Blake was so recognized in Fall 1997 e.v. based on Crowley's essay "William Blake," which described him as such. Giordano Bruno was added to the list on February 17, 2000 e.v., the 400th anniversary of his martyrdom.
In the Collect, some names are italicised. In ordinary masses only names in italics are commemorated, with the full list reserved for special masses (e.g. rites of baptism, confirmation etc.).
- Andrea (Johann Valentin Andreae)
- Apollonius Tyanæus (Apollonius of Tyana)
- Arthur (King Arthur)
- Elias Ashmole
- Francis Bacon, Lord Verulam
- Roger Bacon
- William Blake
- Roderic Borgia, Pope Alexander the Sixth
- Giordano Bruno
- Sir Richard Francis Burton
- Jacob Boehme
- Robertus de Fluctibus (Robert Fludd)
- Frederick of Hohenstaufen (Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor)
- Forlong dux (James George Roche Forlong)
- Ludwig von Fischer
- Laotze (Lao-tsu)
- Alphonse Louis Constant (Eliphas Levi)
- Ludovicus, Rex Bavariae (Ludwig II of Bavaria)
- Michael Maier
- Major Grady Louis McMurtry
- Jacobus Burgundus Molensis the Martyr (Jacques de Molay)
- Molinos (Miquel de Molinos)
- Mosheh (Moses)
- The Gnostic Mass: Annotations and Commentary by Helena and Tau Apiryon (2004)
- Crowley, Aleister The Revival of Magick (1998) Thelema Media ISBN 978-0-9726583-9-3
- Agape: The Official Organ of the U.S. Grand Lodge of Ordo Templi Orientis Volume IX, Number 1 (2007)
- Wasserman, Bishop James (ed.) Current List of Saints (2007)
- Wasserman, James; Wasserman, Nancy; Crowley, Aleister (2013). To Perfect This Feast: A Performance Commentary on the Gnostic Mass. Red Wheel/Weiser. ISBN 9780971887060.
- http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib15-international.html Ctrl+F Ludwig Von Fischer
- Apiryon & Helena Mystery of Mystery: A Primer of Thelemic Ecclesiastical Gnosticism (2001) Red Flame ISBN 0-9712376-1-1
- Wasserman, James & Wasserman, Nancy To Perfect This Feast (2009) Sekmet Books ISBN 978-0-9718870-3-9
- Liber XV, The Gnostic Mass