Nadiadwala during the promotion of his production film Phantom (2015)
18 February 1966 |
|Occupation||Film producer, film director|
|Spouse(s)||Divya Bharti (m.1992–1993; her death)
Warda Khan (m. 2004–present)
Nadiadwala started his career as a production assistant in his uncle's production house before establishing his own production company called "Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment Pvt Ltd". In 1992 he produced his first film Zulm Ki Hukumat starring Dharmendra and Govinda. In 1993 he produced Waqt Hamara Hai which marked the first pairing of action stars Akshay Kumar and Sunil Shetty. The production company produced several hit films including Jeet (1996), Judwaa (1997), Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega (2000) and Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004).
Despite being heavily hyped, his 2006 film Jaan-E-Mann failed to do well at the box office. His next release, the 2007 film Heyy Babyy, was one of the year's biggest hit. His 2009 production Kambakkht Ishq included the casting of American actors such as Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards and Brandon Routh. His first film of 2010, Housefull starred Akshay Kumar, Ritesh Deshmukh, Deepika Padukone, Lara Dutta and Boman Irani. On 30 September 2010, he announced a sequel to Housefull which would again star Akshay Kumar and be directed by Sajid Khan. His film Anjaana Anjaani starring Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra released on 1 October 2010. His film Housefull 2 was released on 5 April 2012. On 23 May 2014, his first movie starring two debutantes in lead roles Heropanti released. The movie stars Tiger Shroff and Kriti Sanon and has the second highest opening for a movie starring debutantes.
Nadiadwala has several films lined up for release this year and in the coming year. Dishoom, starring Varun Dhawan, John Abraham and Jacqueline Fernandez is set for release on 29 July 2016. Judwaa 2, starring Varun Dhawan and directed by David Dhawan will soon go under production with the banner. Other films lined up for release are Rangoon, starring Saif Ali Khan, Kangana Ranaut and Shahid Kapoor which will release on 24 February 2017, and an untitled project, which will be directed by Kabir Khan and will star Hrithik Roshan as the lead.
Nadiadwala married actress Divya Bharti on 10 May 1992. Bharti died on 5 April 1993. In 2004, he married former journalist Warda Khan, with whom he has two sons.There are theories of him killing his first wife, although it was never proven.
Nadiadwala has produced the following films.
- "All for love". The Times of India. 18 Feb 2006. Retrieved 27 Dec 2011.
- "Salman Khan's 'Kick' earns Rs 200 crore, becomes his highest grosser in India". IBN Live. 5 Aug 2014. Retrieved 12 Dec 2014.
- "Box Office 2006". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 27 Dec 2011.
- "Box Office 2007". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 27 Dec 2011.
- "Heropanti: A love story with an undercurrent of violence". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Special Features: Box Office: Heropanti vs Movies featuring Debutants — Box Office, Bollywood Hungama". bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Singh, P. (27 May 2013). "Salman Khan to star opposite Jacqueline Fernandez in Kick". hindustan times. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Dishoom trailer starring John, Varun, Jacqueline to release today". indianexpress. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "Varun to start Judwaa 2 by end-2016". indiatimes. 4 May 2016. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "It's out! Kangana, Shahid and Saif Ali Khan's 'Rangoon' release date set!". Zee News. 24 May 2016. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Hrithik Roshan and Kabir Khan's movie is in scripting stage says Sajid Nadiadwala". blogtobollywood. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "10 Secret Marriages In Bollywood!". Deccan Chronicle. 24 June 2014. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- "Sajid Nadiadwala buys Divya Bharti's song for Rs. 1.5 crore for 'Kick'". The Indian Express. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- Upala Kbr (12 November 2015). "I proposed to Sajid Nadiadwala, says Warda Khan". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 2016-04-27.