Salabacke Church with clock tower
|Location||Sala backe, Uppsala, Sweden|
|Affiliation||Church of Sweden|
|Province||Vaksala parish, Archdiocese of Uppsala|
|Architect(s)||Sten Hummel-Gumaelius and Jean Michon Bordes|
|General contractor||Anders Diös|
Salabacke Church (Swedish: Salabackekyrkan) is a church in Sala backe, Uppsala, Sweden that was opened in 1958. The church was designed by Sten Hummel-Gumaelius and is made of wood. It suffered an arson attack in 1993 but was later rebuilt with an almost identical design.
When the population in the newly established Sala backe area in Uppsala grew in the early 1950s, the need for a small church became apparent. The architect Sten Hummel-Gumaelius – cooperating with Jean Michon Bordes, proposed a design which was approved and construction of the church began by the firm Anders Diös. It was opened on 14 December 1958.
An arson destroyed the main church building in July 1993, but the parish buildings survived the fire. It was rebuilt with mostly the same design after the fire, though minor changes were made. A roof window was made a bit bigger and the sacristy near the southern wall of the chancel was expanded.
The building contains low rows of parish buildings combined with the nave which is characterized by its height and space, with a steep pitched roof and clean wooden surfaces. The floor-to-ceiling rafters of laminated timber contribute to the nave's individuality. The nave has been likened to a ship with the keel upwards.
The altarpiece that was installed on 27 October 1963 depicts Jesus' entry into Jerusalem and was painted by Bror Hjorth. It was the only thing that could be saved from the 1993 fire, due to the firefighters concentrating their efforts on the chancel wall.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salabackekyrkan.|
- "Salabackekyrkans historia". svenskakyrkan.se (in Swedish). Church of Sweden. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Salabackekyrkan". svenskakyrkan.se (in Swedish). Church of Sweden. 2016-11-22. Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- Alexandersson, Kerstin; Karls Fors, Anette (2004). "Kyrkan brinner! Vad händer sedan?" (PDF). raa.se (in Swedish). Swedish National Heritage Board. p. 39. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Flickor anlade kyrkbrand". Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). Tidningarnas Telegrambyrå. 1993-08-19. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "Salabacke kyrkan". gronlunds-orgelbyggeri.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 2016-02-12.