|Genres||Alternative rock, Britpop|
|Associated acts||Cowboy Racer, Spy51|
|Past members||Marijne van der Vlugt
Salad are a UK-based alternative rock group formed in London in 1992, that included Dutch vocalist/keyboardist Marijne van der Vlugt, bassist Pete Brown, drummer Rob Wakeman (ex-Colenso Parade), and guitarist Paul Kennedy. In 1996, Charley Stone (later of Gay Dad) joined the band as a live guitarist, keyboard player and backing vocalist.
Van der Vlugt had previously worked as a model, and as a video jockey for MTV Europe. The band started performing as The Merry Babes but changed to Salad in 1992, when Pete Brown was recruited on bass. Their first two releases, the Kent EP and "Diminished Clothes", were released on their own Waldorf label, gaining them significant music press coverage and leading to a deal with Island Records, initially on the 'indie' sub-label Island Red. Early singles reached the top 75 of the UK Singles Chart, with "Motorbike to Heaven" just missing out on a top 40 placing. First album, Drink Me (1995), reached No. 16 of the UK Albums Chart. The next three singles were all minor chart hits, but second album Ice Cream (1997) failed to match the success of the first. The band were dropped by Island Records and ultimately disbanded in 1998.
Van der Vlugt later formed Cowboy Racer, whose song "Yellow Horse" featured on the U.S. television show, Grey's Anatomy. Pete Brown and Rob Wakeman established the popular entertainment site, BoreMe, which Pete Brown now runs on his own. Charley Stone has gone on to play in all the bands. Rob Wakeman released a few Tech House and Techno singles between 1999 and 2002, including Legs With Wings on City Rockers (2002). Wakeman, together with Jo Addison, formed the band Lapwing in 1999, appearing on various compilation albums from record labels including Mind Horizon Recordings and Dishy.
- "Kent EP" - June 1993
- "Diminished Clothes" - November 1993
- "On a Leash" - April 1994 UK UK No. 85
- "Your Ma" - July 1994 UK No. 82
- "Drink The Elixir" - February 1995 UK No. 66
- "Motorbike to Heaven" - May 1995 UK No. 42
- "Granite Statue" - August 1995 UK No. 50
- "I Want You" - October 1996 UK No. 60
- "Cardboy King" - May 1997 UK No. 65
- "Yeah Yeah" - August 1997 UK No. 84
- Singles Bar - May 1995 - The first three singles
- Dream a Little Dream of Me - May 1995 - with Terry Hall for the War Child charity project, The Help Album
- Back Street Luv - 1996 - on the Childline charity album.
- Girl Don't Come - 1996 - with Sandie Shaw on The White Room (video on YouTube)
- Strong, Martin C (2003) The Great Indie Discography, Canongate, ISBN 1-84195-335-0, p.952-953
- "Salad Undressed". Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Undressed, Salad [@SaladUndressed] (2017-02-27). "Ahum.....Attention everyone....Salad will be reforming as a full electric line up for this mega cool show on Oct 7th....as you were...." (Tweet). Retrieved 2017-03-01 – via Twitter.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 480. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
Cowboy Racer official website - Marijne van der Vlugt's current band.
BoreMe - Pete Brown's current project.
Rob Wakeman website - Rob Wakeman: Web Developer portfolio.