Salarias fasciatus (jewelled blenny) is a popular marine aquarium fish species in Australasia. Despite being also known as the lawnmower blenny due to its propensity to consume algae growth from rocks and glass, it is principally a detritivore, with plant material making up only 15% of its diet. This species reaches a length of 14 centimetres (5.5 in) TL. The lawnmower blenny is generally regarded as compatible with most other marine fish species and as a group with other lawnmower blennies.
The lawnmower blenny blends in with its surroundings, changing color to hide itself from predators. It stays mostly on the ocean or aquarium floor or on any rock or corals.
Salarias fasciatus is a small fish, with maximum recorded size of about 14 cm. Body depth about 3.7 to 4.2 in length, head small, branched supraorbital and nuchal cirri. Lip margins smooth. No notch in dorsal fin, dorsal and anal fins attached to base of caudal fin by a membrane. Adult males have elongated anterior rays on the anal fin. Colour variable. Usually olive to brown with dark bars and a large number of round or elongated white spots of different sizes. There are usually dark longitudinal lines on the front part of the body, and small bright blue spots with dark outlines along the rear part of the body.
The Salarias fasciatus lives from East Africa and the Red Sea to Samoa and the Islands of Micronesia.
The Salarias fasciatus is usually observed on shallow reef flats with heavy algal cover.
Georges Cuvier described this species as Salarias quadripennis in 1816 and named it as the type species of the genus Salarias but Cuvier's name was shown to be a junior synonym of Bloch's Blennius fasciatus.
- Williams, J.T. (2014). "Salarias fasciatus". The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2014: e.T48342111A48387671. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2013). "Salarias fasciatus" in FishBase. February 2013 version.
- Randall, John E.; Allen, Gerald R.; Steene, Roger C. (1997). Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea (second ed.). Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press. ISBN 0 8248 1895 4.
- Eschmeyer, W. N.; R. Fricke & R. van der Laan (eds.). "Salarias". Catalog of Fishes. California Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Eschmeyer, W. N.; R. Fricke & R. van der Laan (eds.). "Blennius fasciatus". Catalog of Fishes. California Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Algae-Eating Blennies of the Genera Salarias and Atrosalarias
- Lawnmower Blenny, Rockskipper Blenny
- Salarias fasciatus
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salarias fasciatus.|