|10th President of El-Ahly Sports Club|
December 13, 1980 – December 16, 1988
|Preceded by||General Abd El-Mohsen Mortagy|
|Succeeded by||Abdo Saleh Al-Wahsh|
February 7, 1992 – May 6, 2002
|Preceded by||Abdo Saleh Al-Wahsh|
|Succeeded by||Hassan Hamdy|
|Full name||Mohamed Saleh Mohamed Selim|
|Date of birth||11 September 1930|
|Place of birth||Cairo, Egypt|
|Date of death||6 May 2002(aged 71)|
|Place of death||London, United Kingdom|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Saleh Selim (Arabic: صالح سليم) (September 11, 1930 - May 6, 2002) was the 10th president of the Egyptian Al-Ahly Sporting Club. He also was a famous Egyptian football player and actor. He was nicknamed El Maestro because of his way of leading the Ahly football team to many victories. He then became the manager of the team, then member of the board of directors of the club. He finally became one of the most successful presidents of the club.
Life and career
Selim joined Al-Ahly club in 1944 as a football player. Later, he became the club's football team manager, then a member of the board of directors. Due to the fame he gained as a football player, Saleh was dragged into show business and starred in three movies. He co-starred 1962 film titled "Black Candles" with Najat Al Saghira who sang in it her widely-known song "Do not lie". In 1980 he was elected the president of the club. He was then re-elected five successive times.
Saleh Selim was the first Egyptian soccer player in Austria and it was a "transfer-sensation" when he joined Grazer AK and scored 3 goals in 6 championship-games (10/6 with friendly-games included) for the oldest Styrian football club during the 1962–63 season.
National team appearances
- First national team appearance was vs Turkey in East Mediterranean Cup 1 February 1950 (Egypt won 3/0)
- Participated in Olympic games 1960
- Participated in African Cup of Nations 1959 & 1962 (Played 3 games & Scored 1 Goal) (One title & one runner up)
- Saleh Selim won 9 successive League titles (1948/49 To 1958/59) (Egyptian Alltime Record)
- He scored 92 Goals for Al-Ahly, 78 in Egyptian league & 14 in Egyptian Cup.
Career as a manager
- Ahly Football Official 1971
- Ahly Club Board Member 1972
- Ahly Club President : From 12 December 1980 till 16 December 1988 & from 6 February 1992 till 6 May 2002
- Elected five times 1980-1984-1992-1996-2000
Selim was born in Cairo in 1930. His father Mohamed Selim was a renowned physician. He had two younger brothers, Abdel wahab and Tarek Selim. He also has two sons Khaled and Hisham Selim who is an actor.