Salem Abbey, ca. 1765
|• Mayor||Manfred Härle|
|• Total||62.70 km2 (24.21 sq mi)|
|Elevation||440 m (1,440 ft)|
|• Density||180/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||07553, 07554, 07544, 07556|
The community is located about nine kilometers east of Überlingen and ten kilometers north east of Meersburg in Linzgau mainly in the valley of Linzer Aach. The district Oberstenweiler is situated on a side peak of the Gehrenberg up to 600 m height. The district area covers approximately 6270 hectares [A 1] (as of December 31 2014). (Date: 31 December 2014).[A 1] (Date: 31. Dezember 2014). 
The town Salem consists of eleven member locations :. The area of the locations is listed below:
- Salem Stefansfeld (chief town) 743 ha
- Beuren 888 ha
- Buggensegel 361 ha
- Grasbeuren 347 ha
- Mimmenhausen 628 ha
- Mittelstenweiler 314 ha
- Neufrach 1030 ha
- Oberstenweiler 324 ha
- Rickenbach 171 ha
- Tüfingen 911 ha
- Weildorf 551 ha
For a detailed history of the monastery see the article Salem Abbey.
On the 3rd century founded Alemanni, later moving here Franks several villages, including the small settlement Salemanneswilare (later Salmannsweiler). Here founded in 1137, the Order of Cistercians the Salem Abbey. It quickly came to the rank of an imperial abbey.
From about 1285 to 1425 was built the to this day preserved High Gothic Salem Münster. In the 17th century, the monastery had to cope with serious setbacks. The Thirty Years' War brought death and destruction to many areas. Subsequently, were developed under the master builder Franz Beer of Vorarlberg the until today preserved buildings. Among other things, founded Abbot Anselm II. Schwab 1749 an Orphans' Fund, that applies the first Savings bankin Germany. Anselm also let built the pilgrim church Birnau on the riverside of Lake Constance. The heyday of the monastery ended with the German mediatization in 1803. It was secularized, and the territory fell to the Margraviate of Baden.
Culture and sights
The Cistercian monastery of Salem Abbey was founded in 1134 when the knight Guntram von Adelsreute donated land for its establishment. The abbey already had its own scriptorium in the 12th century, and formed one of the most important monastery libraries in Europe.
Currently the grounds are home to the middle school campus of the boarding school Schule Schloss Salem, founded in 1920 by Kurt Hahn and Prince Max of Baden. The abbey complex measures a total of 17 hectares.
Other sights are Salem Minster, the former church of the abbey complex in gothic style and the Baroque chapel.
In summer the Schlosssee (castle lake) attracts swimmers from all over the region. In addition, there are also tennis courts, a football and athletics stadium, sports grounds, sports halls and rehearsal rooms for teams.
Fanfarenzug Salem during the day of open doors on 14 September 2014 in Salem Monastery and Palace.
Salem has numerous clubs, including the Fanfarenzug Salem.
At the pool area is held every first summer holiday weekend, the Schloss Seefest Salem, one of the largest open-air events of the Lake Constance region. International artists come with large outdoor concerts to the castle grounds.
- Joseph Anton Feuchtmayer (1696–1770), plasterer and sculptor of the rococo
- Jodok Pein (died after 1729), archivar, konzipist and teaching provost
- Johann Baptist von Keller (1774–1845), Bishop of Rottenburg
- Maximilian, Margrave of Baden (born 1933), since 1963 head of the House Baden
- Abdullah Wagishauser (born 1950), Muslim cleric
- Alexander Hahn (born 1987), politician ( FDP )
- Gemarkungsfläche 62.698.426 m²
- area 62.698.426 m²
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland nach Fläche, Bevölkerung und Postleitzahl am 30.09.2016". Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
- Einwohner und Fläche der Gemeinde Salem; retrieved, 24 February 2015
- Vgl. Salem. in: Das Land Baden-Württemberg. Amtliche Beschreibung nach Kreisen und Gemeinden. Band VII: Regierungsbezirk Tübingen, Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 1978, ISBN 3-17-004807-4. S. 590–596.
- Einwohner und Fläche der Gemeinde Salem; retrieved 24. February 2015
- Peter Schober: Salem. Salem ist nicht Hintertupfingen. In: Die Region stellt sich vor. Wir sind hier. Sonderbeilage des Südkurier vom 19. November 2010, S. 8.
- Vereine in Salem (Baden).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salem (Germany).|