Salem Township, Champaign County, Ohio
|Salem Township, Champaign County, Ohio|
Fields in western Salem Township
Location of Salem Township in Champaign County
|• Total||50.8 sq mi (131.6 km2)|
|• Land||50.8 sq mi (131.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,109 ft (338 m)|
|• Density||50/sq mi (19.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085846|
Salem Township is one of the twelve townships of Champaign County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census reported 2,539 people living in the township, 2,382 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Liberty Township, Logan County - north
- Monroe Township, Logan County - northeast
- Wayne Township - east
- Union Township - southeast
- Urbana Township - south
- Mad River Township - southwest corner
- Concord Township - west
- Harrison Township - northwest
A small part of the city of Urbana, the county seat of Champaign County, is located in the southern part of the township, and the unincorporated community of Kennard lies in the township's east. The Ohio Caverns are located in the northeastern part of the township, near the Logan County line.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
West Liberty-Salem High School is located in Salem Township.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Salem township, Champaign County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Salem township, Salem township, Champaign County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Champaign County, Ohio. W.H. Beers & Company. 1881. p. 501.
- Middleton, Evan P. (1917). History of Champaign County, Ohio: Its People, Industries and Institutions, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen. p. 172.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.