Salem Township, Monroe County, Ohio
|Salem Township, Monroe County, Ohio|
State Route 7 along the Ohio River
Location of Salem Township in Monroe County
|• Total||26.4 sq mi (68.5 km2)|
|• Land||25.7 sq mi (66.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|Elevation||620 ft (189 m)|
|• Density||38/sq mi (15/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086657|
Located in the eastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
Marshall County, West Virginia lies across the Ohio River to the east.
The village of Clarington is located in northeastern Salem Township along the Ohio River.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Salem township, Monroe County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.