Salerno Costa d'Amalfi Airport
|Salerno Costa d'Amalfi Airport
Aeroporto Salerno Costa d'Amalfi
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Owner/Operator||Aeroporto di Salerno S.p.A.|
|Location||Via Olmo, Bellizzi (bordering with Pontecagnano Faiano)|
|Elevation AMSL||131 ft / 40 m|
The Salerno Costa d'Amalfi Airport (IATA: QSR, ICAO: LIRI), located in the municipality of Pontecagnano Faiano and close to Bellizzi, is an airport in southern Italy, near to Salerno and the west coastal areas of Amalfi to the north and Cilento to the south. It is also commonly known as Salerno-Pontecagnano Airport.
The airport was founded in 1926 by Aeronautica Militare, Italy's military air force. A flight training facility was established between 1933 and 1943. The first hangar was designed by the famous architect Pier Luigi Nervi. In 1946, a meteorological service was established, and in 1952, the Salerno Air Club was founded. The airport has hosted the Carabinieri helipad since 1975, and the Firefighter helipad and a parachuting school since 1984. A new control tower was built in 1987. The airport was exclusively used by the Carabinieri, Firefighters, flight and parachuting school and small private jets until 2007.
The airport was then developed to accommodate civil traffic on a large scale, with four check-in desks, two boarding areas, luggage belts and waiting rooms. The runway has a VOR system, a radio direction finder VDF and a lighting system. The runway was extended for a total length of 1 654 m, with an extensions to 2 020 m planned. In 2011 was presented the project for the extension of the runway up to 2020 m (more than 60 m of anti blast) and for the creation of new buildings and other technical adjustments.
Airlines and destinations
Scheduled flights started in 2008 with the company VolaSalerno, which worked from August 2, 2008 to December 18, 2008, followed by Air Dolomiti from July 27, 2009 to May 7, 2010, Alitalia from December 1, 2010 to March 23, 2012, Skybridge AirOps, Air Dolomiti and Danube Wings from June, 2012 to October, 2012.
|Year||Movements||Variation %||Passengers||Variation %|
- Parking: 150 free parking spaces in front of the terminal.
- Taxi: fixed fee from/to Salerno 30 Euro, from/to Battipaglia 15 Euro.
- Bus: CSTP 8 line.
- Train: Salerno and Pontecagnano Faiano stations.
- Subway: an extension of Metropolitana di Salerno to the airport is planned.
- Bellizzi: 3 km (1.9 mi)
- Pontecagnano, Battipaglia: 5 km (3.1 mi)
- Faiano: 7 km (4.3 mi)
- Salerno: 12 km (7.5 mi)
- University of Salerno: 25 km (16 mi)
- Paestum: 27 km (17 mi)
- Palinuro: 45 km (28 mi)
- Amalfi: 45 km (28 mi)
- Avellino, Pompei: 50 km (31 mi)
- Ercolano, Positano: 63 km (39 mi)
- Naples: 70 km (43 mi)
- Sorrento: 73 km (45 mi)
- Benevento, Potenza: 85 km (53 mi)
- Caserta: 90 km (56 mi)
- "Where is Salerno – Costa d'Amalfi Airport". Aeroporto di Salerno - Costa d'Amalfi S.p.A. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- (Italian) List of Italian certified airports by ENAC
- (Italian) Companies serving Salerno Airport (official website)
- "Flights Schedule". Aeroporto di Salerno - Costa d'Amalfi S.p.A. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salerno Costa d'Amalfi Airport.|