|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Sales operations is a set of business activities and processes that help a sales organization run effectively, efficiently and in support of business strategies and objectives. Sales operations may also be referred to as sales, sales support or business operations.
Definition of Sales Forecasting According to American Marketing Association. "Sales forecast is an estimate of sales in dollars, or physical units for a specified future period under a proposed marketing plan or programme and under an assumed set of economic and other forces outside the unit. "
Sales Force Enablement
- Sales Process Development
- Sales Process Adoption and Compliance
- Sales Development
- Sales Training
- Sales Force Communications Management
- Sales Metrics
- Sales Forecasting
- Proposal/Contract Development
- Vendor Selection and Management
- Planning Process Stewardship
- Incentive Sales Compensation Plan Design
- GTM Strategy Alignment with Roles and Components
- Territory Analysis and Definition
- Goal Setting
Sales Operations Mandate and Design
- Chief of Staff to the Sales Organization
- Stewardship of Sales Force Capacity
- Initiative Change Management
- Sales Operations Team Design
- Sales Operations Talent Management
The sales operations team members are often liaisons for sales to other parts of the organisation such as finance, marketing, legal and IT departments. They will represent the needs of sales in meetings and cross-functional projects.
Sales operations as a function
More and more companies are forming sales operations departments within their organizations and, per the sales operations excellence center, sales operations is an established process and considered to be vital contributor to business operations and accounting functions.
Sales Operation Analysts as a department usually have Sales Analysts that work directly under them. Supplying them with the data needed to make decisions. These decisions can transform a fragmented and silted model into a customer-adaptive enterprise.
Nowadays, a lot of companies or small businesses start to use [internet] tools to improve sales function.
Sales target is the minimum sales goal for a set time span. A sales target may be minimum amount of pounds (Monetary Value) or product sold (Volume). Sales targets may also be for sales activities like: number of calls per day. Management usually sets the sales targets and the sales territory. The time span could be set for the day, week, month, fiscal quarter or year.
A Sales territory is usually the customer group or geographical area assigned to an individual salesperson or a sales team. The geographical area may also be assigned to a franchisee, distributor, or agent. A sales territory may also be assigned by industry verticals, such as all retailers or all wholesalers in a geographical area. A sales territory may be as large as a continent, country, state or province, or as small as a precinct, suburb, town or city. Generally, a sales manager will assign a sales territory based on the territories of the sales resources reporting to him/her.
Sales forecasting uses past sales figures to predict the short-term or long-term future performance to enable sound financial planning. For shops and stores, market research may yield the following indicators for deriving initial forecasts:
- average sales volume per unit area for similar shops in similar locations of similar size
- number of consumers or consumer households in appropriate vicinity of the store and their annual expenses on the product in question
|Look up sale in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Choice architecture
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Customer service
- Demand forecasting
- Point of sale
- Sales (accounting)
- Sales incentive plan
- Sales management
- Sales process engineering
- Sales promotion
- Sales territory
- Sales variance
References and notes
- What’s The Difference Between Sales and Sales Operations?
- Bob Bacon – B2B Software Sales Operations
- How Sales Forecasting Works
- Three Methods Of Sales Forecasting - Sales Forecasting By Multiple Methods Is Most Accurate