Salesian High School (Richmond, California)
|Salesian College Preparatory|
|2851 Salesian Avenue
Richmond, California 94804
|Type||Private, Day, College-prep|
|Motto||"Academics. Faith. Family."
Umbram fugat veritas
(The shadows flee from the truth)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Campus size||21 acres (85,000 m2)|
|Athletics conference||CIF North Coast Section|
|Rival||Saint Mary's College High School|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Newspaper||The Salesian Sentinel|
Salesian College Preparatory is a coeducational Roman Catholic college preparatory high school in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland, in Richmond, California, United States. The school's patron saint is Saint John Bosco, the Italian founder of the Salesian order. The school's motto is "loyalty, excellence."
The campus established in 1927 is situated on 21 acres (8.5 hectares), in the Richmond, California North & East neighborhood that straddles the city limits of San Pablo, about eighteen miles (29 km) from San Francisco. The school has a rivalries with St. Patrick-St. Vincent high school and Saint Mary's College High School.
Since 1991 the school has held an annual golf tournament fundraiser to support disadvantaged students at the Richmond Country Club In 2014 the school was named the "best faith-based high school" by Parent's Press magazine. In 2015 the school raised funds to help out rival Middletown High School after the town was devastated by the Valley Fire. Furthermore in that year the school received an anonymous 250,000 US$ donation to update the science lab for STEM studies.
For many years the school's mascot was the Chieftain. The imagery associated with the nickname was a Native American wearing a feather headdress. The mascot came under repeated scrutiny since at least 1995. The topic garnered media attention and it was reported that it was found to be "racist" and "offensive" by administrators and members of the public. In 2006, the school changed the mascot to the "Pride."
- Freddie Tagaloa, NFL player
- Jahvid Best, Olympic athlete, NFL player
- Jabari Bird, NBA player
- Jabari Brown, NBA player
- WASC-ACS. "WASC-Accrediting Commission for Schools". Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- North & East Neighborhood Council page, City of Richmond website
- St. Patrick-St. Vincent High reflects on long football rivalry with Salesian
- Salesian boys and girls basketball teams win respective Tri-County Athletic League titles
- Salesian announces 25th annual golf tournament fundraiser supporting disadvantaged students
- Salesian named county’s ‘best faith-based high school’ in Parents’ Press Magazine
- Salesian raising funds for Middletown High
- Salesian biology lab overhaul a ‘boost for STEM curriculum’
- Wetzel, Kimberly S. (September 27, 2006) Salesian to Replace 'Offensive' Mascot: RICHMOND: School Removed Chieftain for Cultural Reasons Contra Costa Times. Hosted at redorbit.com. Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- NFL draft Arizona lineman Freddie Tagaloa
- Jahvid Best, Whose NFL Career Was Cut Short Due to Concussions, is Officially Headed to the 2016 Summer Olympics
- Salesian alum Jabari Bird named Pac-12 Player of the Week
- Lakers rookie Jabari Brown reminisces about winning title with Salesian