Salesian Pontifical University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Salesian Pontifical University (Italian: Università Pontificia Salesiana) is a pontifical university in Italy run by the Salesian order. It has three campuses, one in Rome, one in Turin and one in Jerusalem.
The Salesian Pontifical University is promoted by the Salesian Society of Saint John Bosco and is canonically erected by the Congregation for Catholic Education with the decree of May 3, 1940 (Prot. N. 265/40) with the official title «Pontificio Ateneo Salesiano». The new title «Pontificia Studiorum Universitas Salesiana» (Salesian Pontifical University) was approved by Pope Paul VI with the Motu Proprio Magisterium vitae on 24 May 1973.
It consists of the following Faculties:
- The Faculty of Theology
- The Faculty of Education
- The Faculty of Philosophy
- The Faculty of Canon Law
- The Faculty of Christian and Classical Literature
- The Faculty of the Sciences of Social Communication
On 8 December 1986, a Department of Youth Pastoral and Catechetics was constituted by an agreement between the Faculties of Theology and Education. In 2012 the Faculty of the Sciences of Social Communication began to offer Catholic priests (who, by virtue of their priestly studies, possess a Bachelor's degree in either Philosophy or Theology) a three-year Master's Degree in Pastoral Communication that includes a one-year Bachelor's in Communication.
The Salesian Pontifical University is an ordinary member of FIUC (Fédération Internationale des Universités Catholiques), FUCE (Fédération des Universités Catholiques Européennes) and EUA (Association Européenne de l'Université).
Illustrious students and professors
- Tarcisio Bertone
- Angelo Amato
- Alfons Maria Stickler
- Ludwig Schwarz
- Antonio María Javierre Ortas
- Rosalio José Castillo Lara
- Joseph Prathan Sridanusil
- Joseph Cardinal Zen
- Brian Edwin Ferme
- Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, 1996.
- Don Bosco School
- Bosco Seva Kendra, Development Office of the Salesian Province of Hyderabad in India.
- Salesians in Hungary
- Croatian Salesian Province of Saint Don Bosco
- "2006 STATEMENTS OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE, H. EM. Cardinal TARCISIO BERTONE, S.D.B.". Vatican. Retrieved 3 November 2014.