"Let us seek higher things"
|Type||Department, public university|
|Colours||Red, Black and White|
|Affiliations||University of Salford|
Salford Acoustics offers Acoustics and Audio Engineering Courses, undertakes public and industrial research in acoustics, carries out commercial testing, and undertakes activities to engage the public in acoustic science and engineering. It is based in two locations: (i) 3 km west of Manchester city centre, UK, in the Newton Building on the Peel Park Campus of the University of Salford, and (ii) on the banks of the Manchester Ship Canal at MediaCityUK.
History and current structure
The first acoustic laboratories were established in Salford in 1965; in the early 1970s the Department of Applied Acoustics was formed. In 1996 the University merged with University College Salford and a Department of Acoustic and Audio Engineering was formed. A couple of years later, this joined with another department to form Acoustic and Electronic Engineering. Finally, when the University greatly reduced the number of schools in the organisation, Salford Acoustics joined the School of Computing, Science and Engineering. Research work comes under the auspices of the Acoustics Research Centre.
The Department of Applied Acoustics first taught an undergraduate degree in 1975, namely the BSc (Hons) in Electroacoustics. This was later renamed Beng (Hons) Acoustics. In 1993, Salford Acoustics set up the BEng (Hons) in Audio Technology. These two undergraduate degrees are now taught under a single banner, BEng Audio Acoustics, with two pathways to represent the different interests of the cohort. Salford acoustics has also taught masters in acoustic engineering and audio for many decades, currently offering an MSc in Audio Acoustics and an MSc in Environmental Acoustics. The Acoustics Research Centre offers masters and doctoral research degrees.
The Acoustics Research Centre achieved the top research rating of 6* in RAE 2001 as part of the Research Institute for the Built and Human Environment's submission to Unit Of Assment 30, Architecture and the Built Environment. In 2008, the RAE submission including the Acoustics Research Centre finished top of Research Fortnight’s ‘Research Power’ table for Architecture & the Built Environment. 90% of the research was graded at international standard and 25% at world-leading.
Research is carried out in the following sub-disciplines of acoustic engineering and science
- Architectural and building acoustics
- Audio signal processing
- Environmental noise
- Noise control
- Outdoor sound propagation
- Remote sensing using sound
- Sound reproduction
- Surround sound systems
- Vibration and dynamics
Examples of public engagement work include:
- The search for the Worst Sound in the World (EPSRC GrantRef:EP/D000068/1)
- Development of extensive curriculum materials on physics and acoustics for schools (EPSRC GrantRefs:GR/S23919/01, EP/D507030/1, P/D054729/1, EP/E033806/1, EP/G020116/1)
- Aeolus sculpture and outreach (EPSRC GrantRefs:EP/G062781/1)
- The search for the Sonic Wonders of the World
- Audio production suites
- Radio studios
- Recording studios
- Anechoic chamber
- 2x Semi-anechoic chambers
- Reverberation chamber
- Transmission suite
- Listening room
Salford Acoustics is a calibration and test house for construction, government, military, audio R&D and the motor industry.
|Prof Jamie Angus||Audio Engineering Society Silver Medal||2019|
|Dr Jon Hargreaves||Institute of Acoustics Tyndall Medal||2016|
|Professor Yiu Wai Lam||Institute of Acoustics Rayleigh Medal||2012|
|Dr James Woodcock||IMechE Railway Division: Best Young Researcher||2012|
|Dr Olga Umnova||Institute of Acoustics Tyndall Medal||2010|
|Trevor Cox||Institute of Acoustics Promoting Acoustics to the Public||2009|
|Prof Jamie Angus||Institute of Acoustics Peter Barnett Award||2004|
|Trevor Cox||Institute of Acoustics Tyndall Medal||2004|
|Dr Francis Li||Institute of Acoustics Peter Barnett memorial student award||2003|
|Professor Yiu Wai Lam||Institute of Acoustics Tyndall Medal||2000|
- Trevor Cox, (Professor of Acoustic Engineering and Broadcaster)
- Professor Yiu Wai Lam, ex-Editor in Chief of Applied Acoustics
- Olga Umnova
Alumni and Former Staff
The following past members of Salford Acoustics have been President of the Institute of Acoustics:
|Professor Peter Lord||1978-80|
|Professor Peter Wheeler||1992-94|
|Dr Tony Jones||2004-06|
|Professor Trevor Cox||2010-12|
- University of Salford. "Courses". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- University of Salford. "Research". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- University of Salford. "Commercial". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Lord, Peter; Geoff Kerry (March 1997). "The Acoustics World". Acoustics Bulletin. 22 (2): 13.
- University of Salford. "CSE". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- University of Salford. "BEng Audio Acoustics". Archived from the original on 2013-07-07.
- University of Salford. "Audio Acoustics". Archived from the original on 2013-08-04.
- University of Salford. "environmental acoustics".
- University of salford. "Phd".
- HEFCE. "RAE". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- The complete University Guide. "University of Salford". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- University of Salford. "Labs".
- University of Salford. "home page". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Elsevier. "Applied Acoustics". Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Independent (11 June 2010). "Hurts' locker offers emotional rescue". The Independent. London. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Søren Bech, Nick Zacharov. Perceptual Audio Evaluation - Theory, Method and Application. John Wiley & sons. ISBN 978-0-470-86923-9.
- "QSC audio". Archived from the original on 2013-07-09.
- "Electroacoustic Design Ltd". Archived from the original on 2013-12-15.
- "Vanguardia Consulting".
- "wbm". Archived from the original on 2013-07-26.
- "dragonfly-environmental". Archived from the original on 2013-07-21.
- "Acoustical Control Engineers Ltd". Archived from the original on 2010-12-03.
- "AWN Consulting".
- "Red Acoustics Limited".
- "Temple Group". Archived from the original on 2013-07-25.
- "Goodhand Acoustics".
- AIRO. "airo".
- "Engineered Acoustic Design Ltd".
- "HiWave Technologies plc".
- "Southdowns Environmental".
- "Acoustics Central".
- "Atkins Limited".
- "RBA Acoustics". Archived from the original on 2013-11-18.
- "Genelec Oy".
- "Sound Reduction Systems Ltd".
- "Acustica Ltd".
- "Atkins". Archived from the original on 2012-10-14.
- "PCB Piezotronics".
- "RS Acoustic Engineering Ltd".
- "AMEC E&I UK Ltd".
- "dBx Acoustics Limited".