Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve
|Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve|
IUCN category VI (protected area with sustainable use of natural resources)
Rock formations at Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve
Location of Salinas y Aguada Blanca in Peru
Arequipa and Moquegua
|Area||3,669.36 km2 (1,416.75 sq mi)|
|Established||09 August 1979|
|Website||Reserva Nacional Salinas y Aguada Blanca|
Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve is a protected area located in the regions of Arequipa and Moquegua; Peru. The main purpose of this area is to protect the local flora, fauna and landscape formations.
Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve is located in the provinces of Caylloma and Arequipa in the region of Arequipa; and a small part in the province of Sanchez Cerro in the region of Moquegua. It spans an area of 366,936 hectares (3,669.36 km2) which covers the headwaters of important local rivers like Yura and Chili.
The landscape features high Andean plateaus dotted by lakes and meadows; and surrounded by volcanoes like Ubinas, Misti, Pichu Pichu and Chachani in the southwest and by mounts Chuccura and Huarancante in the north. Although initially declared an area with the aim to protect local camelids, flamingoes and Andean forests, it has since become a protected water source for the city of Arequipa. Precipitation carried by the eastern winds is captured by the local vegetation and stored in the lakes, meadows and soil; thus giving a valuable environmental service to the region.
The reserve is populated to some extent; most of its territory belongs to thirteen peasant communities and more than 100 private smallholders recognized by law.
A total of 358 plant species in 155 genera and 47 families have been found in the area, mostly shrubs and herbs; only one species is a tree (Polylepis sp.) which forms pure stands. Some plants found in the reserve are: Jarava ichu, Nassella depauperata, Lepidophyllum quadrangulare, Parastrephia lepidophylla, Festuca ortophylla, Nassella mexicana, Azorella compacta, Pycnophyllum molle, Werneria paposa, Calamagrostis curvula, Baccharis buxifolia, Alchemilla pinnata, Distichia muscoides, Ranunculus flagelliformis, Myrosmodes sp., among others.
Biking and trekking can be done in the numerous paths inside the reserve, while enjoying the landscape emmarked by the volcanoes of the area where mountaineering can be practiced. It is possible to visit volcanic and geothermal land features like the Chucura volcanic crater and the Umalaso hot springs.
- "De Salinas y Aguada Blanca - Servicio Nacional de Áreas Naturales Protegidas por el Estado". www.sernanp.gob.pe (in Spanish). Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "Bofedales y Laguna de Salinas | Ramsar Sites Information Service". rsis.ramsar.org. Retrieved 2017-05-12.
- "Laguna del Indio - Dique de los Españoles | Ramsar Sites Information Service". rsis.ramsar.org. Retrieved 2017-05-12.
- Plan Maestro de la Reserva Nacional de Salinas y Aguada Blanca 2006-2011 (PDF) (in Spanish). SERNANP. 2006.
- Biggar, John (2005). The Andes: A Guide for Climbers. Andes. pp. 155–157. ISBN 9780953608720.
- Ugarte-Nunez, Joaquin A.; Lourdes Mosaurieta-Echegaray (2000). "Assessment of Threats to Flamingos at the Salinas and Aguada Blanca National Nature Reserve (Arequipa, Peru)". Waterbirds. 23 (Special Publication 1: Conservation Biology of Flamingos): 134–140. doi:10.2307/1522158. JSTOR 1522158.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salinas and Aguada Blanca National Reserve.|
- Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve. Official site (in Spanish).
- Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve. Map.
- Photos of Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve