Salivary duct carcinoma
|Salivary duct carcinoma|
|Classification and external resources|
Salivary duct carcinoma, abbreviated SDC, is a rare type of aggressive cancer that arises from the salivary glands. It is predominantly seen in men and, generally, has a poor prognosis. Other high grade carcinomas can mimic SDC. About 40-60% of SDC arise in pleomorphic adenomas. Most, if not all, SDCs express androgen receptor by immunohistochemistry. Therapeutically relevant genetic alterations include ERBB2/Her2 amplification, PIK3CA and/or HRAS mutations.
The typical presentation is a rapidly growing mass with associated pain. This may be seen in association with neck lymph node swelling (cervical lymphadenopathy), due to metastases, and facial nerve paralysis.
SDC are diagnosed by examination of tissue, e.g. a biopsy.
- Kinnera, VS; Mandyam, KR; Chowhan, AK; Nandyala, R; Bobbidi, VP; Vutukuru, VR (July 2009). "Salivary duct carcinoma of parotid gland.". Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. 13 (2): 85–8. doi:10.4103/0973-029x.57676. PMC . PMID 21887008.
- Rajesh, NG.; Prayaga, AK.; Sundaram, C. (2011). "Salivary duct carcinoma: correlation of morphologic features by fine needle aspiration cytology and histopathology.". Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 54 (1): 37–41. doi:10.4103/0377-4929.77321. PMID 21393874.
- Williams, L; Thompson, LD; Seethala, RR; Weinreb, I; Assaad, AM; Tuluc, M; Ud Din, N; Purgina, B; Lai, C; Griffith, CC; Chiosea, SI (May 2015). "Salivary duct carcinoma: the predominance of apocrine morphology, prevalence of histologic variants, and androgen receptor expression.". The American journal of surgical pathology. 39 (5): 705–13. doi:10.1097/pas.0000000000000413. PMID 25871467.
- Chiosea, SI; Williams, L; Griffith, CC; Thompson, LD; Weinreb, I; Bauman, JE; Luvison, A; Roy, S; Seethala, RR; Nikiforova, MN (June 2015). "Molecular characterization of apocrine salivary duct carcinoma.". The American journal of surgical pathology. 39 (6): 744–52. doi:10.1097/pas.0000000000000410. PMID 25723113.
- Nardi, V; Sadow, PM; Juric, D; Zhao, D; Cosper, AK; Bergethon, K; Scialabba, VL; Batten, JM; Borger, DR; Iafrate, AJ; Heist, RS; Lawrence, DP; Flaherty, KT; Bendell, JC; Deschler, D; Li, Y; Wirth, LJ; Dias-Santagata, D (15 January 2013). "Detection of novel actionable genetic changes in salivary duct carcinoma helps direct patient treatment.". Clinical Cancer Research. 19 (2): 480–90. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.ccr-12-1842. PMID 23186780.