Sally Bollywood: Super Detective
|Created by||Emmanuelle Boutet (AKA Pepper Sue)
|Country of origin||
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||104|
|Executive producer(s)||Mr Manne|
|Running time||13 minutes|
|Original release||26 October 2009– 18 December 2013|
Sally Bollywood: Super Detective (known as simply Sally Bollywood) is a French–Australian animated television show co-produced by the French company Tele Images Kids and by Australia's Three's a Company. The series was originally broadcast on France 3 and on Seven Network in Australia. Two series have been produced, each consisting of 52 13-minute episodes. Many networks air episodes in pairs, to fill a half-hour time slot.
The series revolves around Sally, a young Indian girl who lives in the fictional city of Cosmopolis, where people of various nationalities and ethnic groups make up the population. Her father, Harry Bollywood, is a private detective, which has inspired Sally to start her own investigative service, Sally Bollywood Investigations (SBI), located in the basement of their home. Sally and her best friend Doowee McAdam generally investigate cases brought to them by their schoolmates by travelling around their local neighbourhood, with Sally using her skills of detection and Doowee using technology he invents.
The series was developed in association with France 3 and Seven Network. It is co-produced by France Télévisions in France and Three's a Company in Australia, and distributed internationally by Zodiak Entertainment Distribution.
- Sally Bollywood: A 12-year-old Indian girl detective. She investigates primarily by asking people questions. She has purple hair. She speaks with an English accent in the English dub. She's also a huge fan of the Fuzzy Frogs.
- Doowee MacAdam: Best friend of Sally, also 12 years old. He assists Sally with her investigations, often by using technology invented by himself. He has orange hair. He also likes the Fuzzy Frogs.
- Jasmine: A twelve-year-old girl who used to be the SBI's intern but got kicked out when she sorted Sally's papers incorrectly. She's known to be extremely snobbish and narcissistic. She's Rahani's sister and Alma is her best friend.
- Harry Bollywood: Sally's father, a private detective who inspired Sally to begin her own investigation service. He often worries about Sally taking on cases, but is honored that she has chosen to follow in his footsteps. He also has purple hair.
- Mrs Apu: An older Indian woman who is a friend of Harry. She acts as the Bollywoods' housekeeper and often offers advice to Sally, Doowee and other characters. She's sort of a mother figure for Sally. She also loves cooking and enjoys experimenting with new recipes.
Sally Bollywood's friends
This is a list of Sally's friends and classmates. Some have formed groups and clubs
The Fuzzy Frogs
The Fuzzy Frogs is a school rock band. They used to be a boy band until the frogs realized how much Jenny wanted to be a member. The group makes rock music and has a huge following of mostly girls (although Doowee is a fan too). Groupies often mob them. The Fuzzy Frogs are said to be four years old.
The following are current Fuzzy Frogs members:
- Tommy: A twelve-year-old boy and Julie's brother
- Jeremy: The leader of the band
- Jenny: Longtime fan a backup singer. She was upset when she wasn't initially invited into the band and leaked one of their songs to a famous rock artist.
- Lee: An Asian boy and classmate of Sally and Doowee. His mother is a herbalist and owns a shop. After he was found sabotaging a swimming competition, Sally and Doowee discovered that Lee has six toes on each foot rather than five. Ironically, he ended up winning that swimming contest.
- Luna: Used to claim she was a sorceress and has an uncanny fascination of the spirit world. She also writes horror stories.
- Vanessa: A very good singer and participater in the school concert. She became a star within the school. Her stage name is Vanessa M.
- Melody: One of Vanessa's best friends, Melody is a singer like Vanessa. However, her reputation was marred by the fact that she used autotune during performances.
- Christina: Melody's best friend, Christina helps produce and prepare Melody's stage for live performances, acting as her personal assistant.
- Bridget Brickhouse: An Asian girl best known in athletics. She's exceptionally strong, once even throwing Doowee onto a gym mat. However, she's very quick-tempered and also has terrible grades.
- Albert: A scientist, like Doowee, he often rivals him in science contests. Both he and Albert created particle analyzers. Albert also is of German ancestry and lisps.
- Mr. Bobby Shoebridge: A principal of Little Bombay Junior High. He gives Sally and Doowee tasks when things are going on around the school.
- Paul: A boy who writes poetry and aspires to become a rapper. He also loves gold and idolizes rappers.
- Anna: A shy girl who loves blue. She wears blue clothes, has blue shoes and even has a blue bookbag.
- Achmed: An expert skateboarder and master of disguise.
- Nirmala Pashimbrana: An extremely shy friend of Sally and Doowee. She also is so generous she never turns down a favor, and is very agile, as well as being quite a good dancer.
- Rahani: Jasmine's brother, and a lover of art. He once flirted with Christina, and it is rumored that they are or were in a relationship. He's also Sanjay's brother. Rahani is a really good cook too.
- Alma: A twelve-year-old girl who is best friends with Jasmine and is also known for being extremely excitable. Sometimes, though, she can have a fierce temper, be rude and snobbish.
- Mr. Big: A former con man who also is a fortune teller. He later revealed to the SBI, though, that he simply tells his clients "what they want to hear." He is not very big.
- Stan: An eccentric twelve-year-old boy who has weird tastes. He was revealed to have a pet rat and be the person behind internet phenomenon Blogger Boy, a popular blogger. He lets his little sister Ann borrow him whenever she wants.
- George: A popular boy. At 13, he's one of the oldest kids on the show. He has bad grades. Sally once had a crush on him. George also likes to garden. He is the older brother of Betty, and the two appear to be very close. He has black hair with a purple patch.
- Betty: A shy girl with black hair covering her face. She becomes Sally and Dowee's friend after they help her with an investigation. She is the younger sister of George, and the two appear to be very close. Betty gets upset when faced with the threat of her brother transferring schools.
- Jaya Madurpore: The daughter of Mrs Madurpore, Jaya is a smart student who comes to the SBI after losing her 'lucky charm'. She is shown to be a bit bossy and has green hair and green eyes.
- Indira Madurpore (née Kooptur) a.k.a. Mrs Madurpore: A biology teacher at Sally and Dowee's school. She is the mother of Jaya and is shown to be quite strict at times. She has very dark green hair.
|This section needs expansion with: additional episodes. You can help by adding to it. (March 2014)|
|Episode||Title||Air date (Australia)|
|1||"Cockroach Capers"||14 August 2010|
|Sally's father bans her from detective work. She disobeys him, however, and investigates a mysterious cockroach thief, with Doowee's assistance.|
|2||"Trapped by the Internet"||14 August 2010|
|Sally and Doowee attempt to find out who is placing digitally manipulated images on Blogger Boy's blog to shame him. Once users click the image, a virus is downloaded. The virus spread across the world.|
|3||"Window Pains"||28 August 2010|
|After three windows are broken at school, the Principal's son asks Sally to investigate. However she questions his intentions when she learns the Principal has already found the culprit. They later discover that the principal's son is a secret skateboarder and the boy principal caught was outside school campus skateboarding with principals son.|
|4||"A Room With A Curse"||28 August 2010|
|The S.B.I. has a new case on their hands. A supernatural case. Or at least that's what it seems like when the spirit of Trishna haunts the new girl in town.|
|5||"Chemical Reaction"||28 August 2010|
|Sally and Doowee investigate the theft of a fellow student's father's chemistry books while Sally is in tension due to her chemistry test.|
|6||"Trouble at the Museum"||4 September 2010|
|Sally and Doowee investigate a theft at the modern art museum.|
|7||"Double Trouble"||4 September 2010|
|Doowee invents a camera that makes masks of pupil after clicking their photos. Later Sally is accused of stealing a teacher's purse and is suspended from school. Now Sally is secretly investigating.|
|8||"Don't Touch My Lucky Charm"||11 September 2010|
|Sally and Doowee try to discover who stole their classmate's good luck charm.|
|9||"Mr Big"||11 September 2010|
|The S.B.I. faces closure after a rival agency, Mr.Big detective agency, has been stealing their clients. Note: Mr Big is a parody of the title character of the manga series Detective Conan.|
|10||"George's Forced Labour"||18 September 2010|
|Sally and Doowee help their classmate George, who is being blackmailed to do another kid's homework.|
|11||"From Bombay with Love"||18 September 2010|
|A TV star asks Sally and Doowee to investigate leaks to the media.|
|This section needs expansion with: additional episodes. You can help by adding to it. (March 2014)|
|Episode||Title||Air date (U.K.)|
|1||"The New Teacher"||3 December 2013|
|Sally and Doowee want to help the new Science teacher from being late into her sessions, while Jaya's mum, Mrs Madurpore, takes the days off. Meanwhile, Phil has his own pranks to let Sally get fooled into.|
|2||"The Sorceress"||4 December 2013|
|Sally and Doowee are suspicious when Luna, a classmate, claims she's a sorceress and starts giving away love potions. One of Luna's clients claims he used the potions and now he and another classmate are deeply in love. Then, Svetlana shows up at the SBI claiming Luna turned her hair green. Both Sally and Doowee are very suspicious and don't believe she is a real sorceress...and then Luna, thinking Sally's out to ruin her good name, claims she cast a spell on Sally and when Sally leaves the SBI, both she and Doowee are shocked to find that her hair has turned green.|
|3||"Poster Boy"||5 December 2013|
|Someone's sticking posters around the school and the Principal, Mr Shoebridge, is going to put everyone on detention if the culprit doesn't own up. When no one confesses by the end of the week, it is up to the SBI to investigate.|
|4||"Night at the Museum"||6 December 2013|
|During a school tour of the local museum, the curator notices someone has tampered with the exhibits. The SBI are on the case straight away.|
|5||"The Case of the Sad Clown"||9 December 2013|
|The SBI are investigating the theft of a girl's doll, when they are asked by a party clown to find out who is sabotaging his act.|
|6||"The Black Sheep"||10 December 2013|
|Sally and Doowee are working at a fun park and discover that someone has begun to steal the prizes that kids are winning at the park. Later on, the SBI realise that there is a pattern emerging with these crimes.|
|7||"The Haunted House"||11 December 2013|
|A new kid in school, Blake, tells the SBI his toy plane has been stolen, while he moved into his new house. Sally agrees to take the case, even though the newspaper is at its most 'busy' mode. But, Blake says that there is an unusual background to the mystery; the plane is believed to be hiding in the hands of a ghost in his new, yet haunted, house...|
|8||"The Big Stink"||12 December 2013|
|The school is being invaded by a series of bad smells, leading up to the visit of the School Inspector, so Sally and Doowee investigate. Cassie thinks that Sascha is not worthy of greeting the inspector...|
|9||"Adventures in Pet Sitting"||13 December 2013|
|Alice, Tom's sister, is looking after Lee Wang's pet rabbit when the Wang family is away. When she leaves it alone in her backyard for a moment, the pet goes missing and a skateboard is stolen.|
|10||"Eye in the Sky"||16 December 2013|
|The school rocket club has a problem – their rockets keep blowing up. Meanwhile, Sally is investigating another crime – someone is tampering with the school lunches.|
|11||"Cirque de Sally"||17 December 2013|
|Someone is sabotaging the sporting clubs at Sally's school; stealing the soccer balls, the badminton rackets and volleyball equipment. Sally and Doowee investigate.|
|12||"Camp of Doom"||18 December 2013|
|Sally, Doowee and their class are going on an overnight camping trip. They have only just pitched their tents when they experience an Extra-Terrestrial phenomenon.|
- "C21Media". C21Media. Archived from the original on 10 June 2010.
- "Sally Bollywood". Zodiak Rights. Zodiak Media. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Press Release". zodiakentertainment.com. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Bynum, Aaron H. (23 June 2010). "'Sally Bollywood' Animation News". animationinsider.net. Animation Insider. Archived from the original on 7 March 2012.
- "Karen Horne – Portfolio: Sally Bollywood". karenhorne.com.au. Retrieved 11 March 2015.