|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Scarborough Centre
|Assumed office |
October 19, 2015
|Preceded by||Roxanne James|
|Born||Coventry, England, UK|
|Residence||Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario|
|Alma mater||University of London|
|Awards||Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal|
Salma Zahid MP is an English-born Pakistani-Canadian politician, who was elected as a Member of Parliament in the House of Commons of Canada to represent the federal riding of Scarborough Centre during the 2015 Canadian federal election. She succeeded the Conservative Roxanne James.
Zahid was born in Coventry, England. She holds a master's degree in educational management and administration from the University of London’s Institute of Education, and an MBA from Quaid e Azam University in Pakistan. She is Pakistani Canadian, mother of 2 and has resided in Scarborough since 2000. She is a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
In February 2018, Zahid announced that she was taking medical leave to treat her Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. This was used by the Scarborough Centre Conservative Party of Canada Riding Association Vice President to sell memberships via robocall. While recovering from chemotherapy treatment, Zahid wore a hijab for personal reasons, saying that she had grown closer to her Islamic faith while facing cancer. In May 2018, she became the first MP to wear a hijab in the House of Commons. In July 2018, after completing six rounds of chemotherapy, Zahid was cancer-free and returned to her job.
|2015 Canadian federal election: Scarborough Centre|
|New Democratic||Alex Wilson||5,227||11.6||-19.06||$24,264.68|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||45,029||100.00||+22.33||$203,985.80|
|Total rejected ballots||407||0.90||+0.33|
|Liberal gain from Conservative||Swing||+10.39%|
- "Liberal candidate Salma Zahid wins Scarborough Centre". Toronto Star. October 19, 2015.
- "Biography: Salma Zahid". Liberal Party of Canada. October 15, 2016.
- "Two Pakistani women emerge victorious in Canadian general elections". ARY News. October 20, 2015.
- "Scarborough area Liberal MPs endorse John Tory".
- Aiello, Rachel (August 22, 2018). "'A new low': Conservative robocall tries to exploit Liberal MP's cancer diagnosis". CTV News. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Massa, Ginella (August 21, 2018). "Scarborough MP responds to criticism over wearing hijab, says she's recovering from cancer". CityNews Toronto. Retrieved September 1, 2018.