Salomon von Rajalin
Salomon von Rajalin
|Birth name||Salomon Maurits von Rajalin|
|Born||25 August 1757|
|Died||23 September 1825 (aged 68)|
|Years of service||1773–1809|
|Battles/wars||Russo-Swedish War (1788–90)|
|Other work||Governor of Saint Barthélemy|
Governor of Gotland County
Governor of Gävleborg County
Baron Salomon Maurits von Rajalin (25 August 1757 – 23 September 1825) was a Swedish Navy admiral and civil servant.
Appointed at the age of sixteen to fänrik in the Fleet of the Army, Rajalin served 1780–82 as an employee of the French Navy. After having returned to Sweden, he quickly rose through the ranks and became, since the Caribbean island of Saint Barthélemy in 1784 came into Swedish possession, in 1785 the first Swedish governor there. From there he was transferred in 1787 to the governor location on Gotland and held that post for 20 years, during which he however long periods of time held different positions of trust. He was during the Russo-Swedish War 1788–90 military commander of the Archipelago fleet and excelled particularly in an engagement at Porkkalanniemi on 26 August 1789.
After the peace treaty he became rear admiral in 1791 and was 1791–94 general commissary in the fleet. Appointed vice-admiral in 1799, Rajalin was 1801–09 as acting adjutant general, rapporteur before the king in cases involving the fleet. During the Finnish War in 1808 he commanded the Archipelago fleet, but resigned from this position in October of that year. Appointed in 1809 by Charles XIII to admiral, he became in 1812 governor of Gävleborg County, but resigned already in 1813 from this position.
On 10 November 1787 in Karlskrona, he married Fredrica Lovisa Jägersköld, the daughter of vice admiral Christer Ludvig Jägersköld and his wife Anna Fredrica Grubbe. von Rajalin died childless on 23 September 1825 in Stockholm. The funeral was held at Ulrika Eleonora Church and he was buried at Klara Cemetery. When his brother died in 1826, the baronial family von Rajalin was emanated.
Awards and decorations
von Rajalin's awards:
- Knight of the Order of the Sword (1779)
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Sword (1789)
- Commander of the Order of the Sword (1797)
- Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Sword (1801)
- Knight of the Pour le Mérite Militaire
- Hofberg, Herman; Heurlin, Frithiof; Millqvist, Viktor; Rubenson, Olof (1906). Svenskt biografiskt handlexikon: alfabetiskt ordnade lefnadsteckningar af Sveriges namnkunniga män och kvinnor från reformationen till nuvarande tid (in Swedish) (Ny uppl. /grundligt genomsedd, omarbetad och till våra dagar framförd af Frithiof Heurlin ... ed.). Stockholm: Bonnier. p. 316. LIBRIS 81312.
- "Von Rajalin nr 317". www.adelsvapen.com (in Swedish). Adelsvapen. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- Anrep, Gabriel, ed. (1862). Svenska adelns ättar-taflor. Afd. 3, von Nackreij - Skytte (in Swedish). Stockholm: [Norstedt]. p. 296. LIBRIS 482523.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salomon von Rajalin.|
| Governor of Saint Barthélemy
Pehr H von Rosenstein
Carl Otto von Segebaden
| Governor of Gotland County
Carl Fredrik Aschling
Fredrik Adolf Ulrik Cronstedt
| Governor of Gävleborg
Eric Samuel Sparre