|Chairman of the Supreme Council for the Restoration of Democracy of Niger|
19 February 2010 – 7 April 2011
|Prime Minister||Mahamadou Danda|
|Preceded by||Mamadou Tandja (President)|
|Succeeded by||Mahamadou Issoufou (President)|
15 April 1965 |
|Political party||Supreme Council for the Restoration of Democracy|
Lieutenant General Salou Djibo (born 15 April 1965) is a Nigerien military officer. After President Mamadou Tandja's attempts to remain in power after the end of his term, Djibo led the military coup of 18 February 2010 that ousted Tandja, after which he became the head of the Supreme Council for the Restoration of Democracy. The Supreme Council returned power to the government after the 2011 elections.
Early and family life
In 1995, Djibo underwent military training in Bouaké, Côte d'Ivoire before commencing officer training in 1996. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1997 and gained further promotions to lieutenant in 1998, captain in 2003 and chef d'escadron (major) in October 2006. Djibo has also received training in Morocco and China.
Amongst Djibo's several posts, he was an instructor at the Agadez military center, platoon commander, commandant, 121 Compagnie de Commandement d'Appui et des Services, and commander of the garrison at Niger's capital Niamey.
Djibo retired after the end of the military government.
- 1974 Nigerien coup d'état
- 1996 Nigerien coup d'état
- 1999 Nigerien coup d'état
- 2009–2010 Nigerien constitutional crisis
- 2010 Nigerien coup d'état
- Mahamadou Danda
- Mamadou Tandja
- Seyni Oumarou
- "Le Commandant Salou Djibo, patron du CSRD, la junte qui dirige le Niger....", African Press Agency, 20 February 2010 (in French).
- (in French) "Un Conseil militaire prend le pouvoir au Niger", Radio France International, February 19, 2010
- (in French) "Niger : le chef d'escadron Salou Djibo, "président" du CSRD", Agence France Presse, February 19, 2010
- "Niger junta names leader after coup", UK Press Association, February 19, 2010
- (in French) "Retour au calme au Niger au lendemain du coup d'Etat", Le Point/Reuters, February 19, 2010
- "Military coup ousts Niger president Mamadou Tandja", British Broadcasting Corporation, February 19, 2010
- cctv.com - Backgrounder: Nigerien junta leader Salou Djibo
- Address by Lieutenant-General Salou Djibo, President of the Supreme Council for Restoration of Democracy, at the 65th Session of the General Assembly of the United Nations, September 23, 2010 (video, dubbed in English)
as President of Niger
|Chairman of the Supreme Council for the Restoration of Democracy of Niger
as President of Niger