Salt Creek Township, Wayne County, Ohio
|Salt Creek Township, Wayne COunty, Ohio|
Township garage and Town Hall on Harrison Road
Location of Salt Creek Township in Wayne County
|• Total||23.8 sq mi (61.7 km2)|
|• Land||23.8 sq mi (61.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,178 ft (359 m)|
|• Density||159.1/sq mi (61.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087160|
Salt Creek Township is one of the sixteen townships of Wayne County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,783 people in the township, 3,296 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
In 2000, 20.9% of Salt Creek residents identified as being of Pennsylvania German heritage. This was the highest percentage of Pennsylvania Germans of any place in the United States, Pennsylvania included.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- East Union Township - north
- Sugar Creek Township - northeast corner
- Paint Township - east
- Paint Township, Holmes County - southeast corner
- Salt Creek Township, Holmes County - south
- Prairie Township, Holmes County - southwest corner
- Franklin Township - west
The village of Fredericksburg is located in southwestern Salt Creek Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Wayne County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Pennsylvania German Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2015-04-16.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.