This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018)
Saltfleetby Nature Reserve
|OS grid reference|
|• London||140 mi (230 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Saltfleetby is a village and civil parish in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England on the coast of the North Sea, approximately 7 miles (11 km) east from Louth and 10 miles (16 km) north from Mablethorpe. The parish had a population of 599 in the 2001 Census, decreasing to 568 at the 2011 Census.
A local name for the village is Soloby.
Until 1999 Saltfleetby comprised three parishes: Saltfleetby St Peter, Saltfleetby All Saints and Saltfleetby St Clement, each one centred on the church that gave it its name. The hamlet of Three Bridges is south of Saltfleetby St Peter.
Second World War
The Second World War defences constructed in and around Saltfleetby have been documented by William Foot. They included extensive minefields between the Great Eau river and the dunes, a large number of pillboxes and a Home Guard shelter in the field adjacent to The Prussian Queen.
Geography and ecology
A section of the parish seashore is salt marsh between Saltfleetby and the North Sea, and is part of the Saltfleetby-Theddlethorpe Dunes National Nature Reserve, which has sea dunes and both saltwater and freshwater marshes. The reserve is one of only five places in the UK where the natterjack toad is found. Many halophyte plant species are found there as well as wild orchids. Grey seals breed farther north in Donna Nook nature reserve within the Saltfleet and North Somercotes parishes.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- Saltfleetby Group Parish Council, Lincolnshire County Council Retrieved 11 October 2016
- "Saltfleetby Village hall", Lincolnshire County Council. Retrieved 24 November 2018
- Foot, William (2006). Beaches, fields, streets, and hills: the anti-invasion landscapes of England, 1940. Council for British Archaeology. ISBN 1-902771-53-2.
- Media related to Saltfleetby at Wikimedia Commons
- Saltfleetby travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Saltfleetby-Theddlethorpe Dunes National Nature Reserve; Natural England. Retrieved 18 May 2012
- Saltfleetby C of E Primary School