|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Saltuarius swaini in Myall Lakes National Park.|
Couper, Covacevich & Moritz, 1993
Saltuarius is a genus of larger Australian geckos, known collectively as leaf-tailed geckos. The genus was created in 1993 to accommodate former members of the genus Phyllurus. These geckos appear very similar to the Uroplatus geckos native to Madagascar. However, this is a convergent evolution.
Habitat and distribution
The species in the genus Saltuarius inhabit Australia's eastern coastal region, a vegetation composed of rainforests and dry Eucalyptus forests. Saltuarius cornutus and Saltuarius swaini are arboreal geckos, the remaining species live on rocky outcrops. They all need a high level of relative air humidity. The species from southern regions must hibernate for several months at temperatures varying between 8 °C (46 °F) and 15 °C (59 °F).
These species invariably lay soft-shelled eggs which are buried in humid substrates.
The following seven species are recognized as being valid.
- Saltuarius cornutus (Ogilby, 1892) – northern leaf-tailed gecko
- Saltuarius eximius Hoskin & Couper, 2013 – Cape Melville leaf-tailed gecko
- Saltuarius kateae Couper et al., 2008 – Kate's leaf-tailed gecko
- Saltuarius moritzi Couper et al., 2008 – Moritz's leaf-tailed gecko
- Saltuarius salebrosus (Covacevich, 1975) – rough-throated leaf-tailed gecko
- Saltuarius swaini (Wells & Wellington, 1985) – southern leaf-tailed gecko
- Saltuarius wyberba Couper, Schneider & Covacevich, 1997 – leaf-tailed gecko
The former Saltuarius occultus Couper, Covacevich & Moritz, 1993, the long-necked northern leaf-tailed gecko, is now Orraya occultus.
- Couper PJ, Covacevich JA, Moritz C. 1993. A review of the leaf-tailed geckos endemic to eastern Australia: a new genus, four new species, and other new data. Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 34 (1): 95-124. (Saltuarius, new genus, p. 97).
- Cape Melville leaf-tailed gecko, Australian Reptile Online Database, 2013.
- "Saltuarius ". The Reptile Database. www.reptile-database.org.
|Wikispecies has information related to: Saltuarius|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saltuarius.|
|This article about a gecko is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|