At age 10, he lost one of his legs, attempting to jump onto a freight train near his home in Arlington, Massachusetts. In later life, he would visit hospitals to encourage other children who had lost limbs.
From 1955 to 1968, he hosted "Salty Brine's Shack" on WPRO-TV/WPRI-TV, a live evening children's program. Its closing words, "Brush your teeth and say your prayers," remained his signature line through the rest of his life.
Awards and honors
- 1977: On the occasion of his 35th anniversary with the station, the WPRO studios on Wampanoag Trail in East Providence, Rhode Island were renamed the "Brine Broadcasting Center".
- 1979: Inducted into the Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame.
- April 1988: Named "Man of the Year" by the Rhode Island Advertising Club
- June 23, 1990: the Galilee State Beach was renamed the Salty Brine State Beach.
- October 1997: WPRO's transmitter/studio building on Wamponoag Trail was rededicated as the "Salty Brine Broadcasting Center".
- May 22, 2008: Salty Brine was posthumously inducted into the Rhode Island Radio Hall of Fame.
- Rhode Island Historical Society's page on Salty Brine. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Ocean State broadcasting legend Salty Brine dies". Providence Journal-Bulletin. November 3, 2004. Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- Quahog.com's page about Salty Brine. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Pages In Time's Salty page. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- on YouTube. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- R.I.H.S.' Salty Page – see letter dated 2/27/50
- Ricitelli, Dino. "A History of 630 WPRO". WPRO (AM). Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- "Salty Brine". Quahog.org.
- "Farewell to Salty Brine, voice of Rhode Island for 50 years". Providence Journal-Bulletin. November 3, 2004. Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- "Walter "Salty" Brine". Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- "Salty Brine State Beach made official by DiPrete". Providence Journal. February 23, 1990. p. A-08.
- Quahog.com's Salty page.
- "Rhode Island Radio Hall of Fame Class of 2008". www.RIRHOF.org. May 22, 2008.
|This Rhode Island–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|