Salvatore Martinez (Enna, 4 May 1966) is an Italian scholar, the first layperson President of the Rinnovamento nello Spirito Santo (Catholic Charismatic Renewal) in Italy. President of the Vatican Foundation International Center Family of Nazareth and Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office 2018 on Combatting Racism, Xenophobia and Discrimination, also focusing on Intolerance and Discrimination against Christians and Members of other Religions".
He is a prolific author. 25 of his books have been published, including Sospinti dallo Spirito in May 2014, sold throughout Italy and even at newspaper stands. It was translated into Spanish, English, Portuguese and French. Among his books published by RnS Papa Francesco e lo Spirito Santo. Novità, armonia, missione (Pope Francis and the Holy Spirit. Novelty, harmony, mission) was one of the most appreciated books, among religious publications, at the Frankfurt book fair in 2014. Some of his books have been translated into English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Polish and Mandarin.
He is an expert in sacred music, and a composer of songs used in the liturgical repertoire, which are recorded in more than 20 musical productions for choir and orchestra, translated and used in many parts of the world.
He collaborates with Italian and foreign magazines on themes of spirituality.
As a conference speaker he has spoken in thirty-five countries on all five continents on spirituality, with special emphasis on youth, families and priests, on the promotion of the laity, social discomfort, the social doctrine of the Church. He has been invited by Bishops' conferences, by social and cultural institutions and other bodies.
He was born and brought up in Enna, the heart of Sicily, and is married to Luciana Leone.
He graduated in Paleography and Musical Philology at the University of Pavia, with honors, with a thesis on the History of the Pontiffs of the first millennium in the light of the liturgical innovations contained in Liber Pontificalis.
He was a teacher and consultant for the Pontifical Universities in Rome and around the world.
Since 2002 he coordinates the Italian Delegation which participates at the “National Prayer Breakfast” (NPB) in Washington. In 2018 the NPB was in its 66th edition. The NPB is the biggest inter-religious network of leaders (an international Convention is held every year in Washington, with invitations from the Senate and Congress of the USA, with the ruling President and Vice President always present) who recognize in Jesus, regardless of the profession of a faith or belonging to a particular religion, a “model” of leadership which places at the center universal values of the Gospel and therefore the human person, his or her integral dignity, ideals of peace and solidarity among the Nations. Over 150 Countries are represented and presented every year. He was a speaker at the 63° NPB, on February 4, 2015, the only European Christian to give a speech during the session dedicated to the Middle East, together with Jewish and Muslim speakers from Israel, Palestine and Jordan on the theme "Family, Middle East and Pope Francis".
He was nominated by the Pope, as an auditor, for the synod on the “New Evangelization” from October 7 to 28, 2012. He was part of the delegation of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem Pope Francis' May 2014 visit to the Holy Land.
He is Consultor, a nomination of Pope Benedict XVI, ad quinquennium, from April 2012, of the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization.
He was Consultor, until the dissolution of the Dicastery, of the Pontifical Council for the Laity ad quinquennium nomination of Pope Benedict XVI, in March 2008, appointment renewed by Pope Francis in 2013.
He was Consultor, until the dissolution of the Dicastery, of the Pontifical Council for the Family Pontifical Council for the Family, ad quinquennium nomination of Pope Benedict XVI, in September 2009, appointment renewed by Pope Francis in 2014.
He is President of the Vatican Foundation “International Center Family of Nazareth” (CIFN) erected ex audientia by Pope Benedict XVI on October 17, 2012, with juridical canonical public and Vatican civil personality, for the development of the Magisterium of the Family in the world, with a special mandate to build and manage the "Home of the Pope for families" in Nazareth, as an ecumenical and interreligious way of dialogue and of peace in the Middle East. (A dream of Saint John Paul II announced at Rio de Janeiro on the occasion of the II World Meeting of Families in 1997, a desire that was renewed by Benedict XVI in 2009 and by Pope Francis in 2014 on the occasion of the respective papal trips to the Holy Land).
Observatory on Religious Minorities in the World and on the Respect for Religious Freedom
Since July 2017 he is President of the Observatory on Religious Minorities in the World and on the Respect for Religious Freedom. An Observatory promoted by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and of International Cooperation (MAECI). The activity of the Observatory is part of the Italian foreign policy in favor of the protection and promotion of the freedom of religion, of public profession of religious belief, of the rights of those belonging to ethnic and religious minorities, in bilateral and multilateral relationships and in programs of Cooperation towards development, with particular attention to the new generations, so that they acquire awareness of the protection of human rights. The Observatory coordinates, through MAECI, it’s action with the work carried out by the Italian diplomatic missions abroad on themes and projects of common interest and keeping in line with the objectives assigned.
In January 2018 he was nominated Personal Representative of the OSCE 2018 Chairperson-in-Office for Dimension 3, to "Combat Racism, Xenophobia and Discrimination, with a focus on Intolerance and Discrimination against Christians and members of Other Religions". He has also been appointed Personal Representative of the permanent Bureau of the Presidency in Vienna, in Dimension 3, as the “Christian” representative, taking the place of Prof. Ms. Ingeborg Gabriel from Austria who represented Christians and alongside the American Rabbi Andrew Baker for the Jews and prof. Bulent Şenay of Turkey for the Muslims (both of them are already on Board).
During the current year 2018, within the OSCE context, he intervened as Speaker in the following international meetings:
- at the coordination meeting at the OSCE Office per Democratic Institutions and Human Rights – ODIHR (Warsaw, February 21–22, 2018);
- at the Intercultural and Inter-Religious Working group Breakfast, organized by the specific Commission of the European Parliament, on the theme: “Religious Freedom" (Bruselles, April 23–25, 2018);
- at the International Ministerial Conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East”, organized by the Governments of Belgium and Lebanon (Bruselles, May 14, 2018);
- at the 15th European Meeting of the Balkans – inspired by the tradition of the National Prayer Breakfast – organized by the a Commission of the Parliament of Albania, on the theme: “You’re your neighbor as yourself” (Tirana, May 25–27, 2018);
- at the International Seminar Supplementary Human Dimension Meeting, organized by OSCE and ODIHR, on the theme: “Child Trafficking – From Prevention to Protection” (Vienna, May 28–29, 2018);
- at the International Conference on the theme: “Religious freedom in Russia. The way of dialogue”, organized by the “St. Gregory the Theologian Charity Foundation” by the Orthodox Patriarchate of Moscow in collaboration with the Presidency of the Russian Federation (Moscow, May 31, 2018);
- at the “Faith and Freedom Summit: practicing what we preach in Europe”, organized by the Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe (June 28, 2018 - Solvay Library, Bruselles);
- at the International Conference on the theme: “Interreligious Engagement and Freedom of Religion or Belief (FoRB): a new policy approach for the Mediterranean”, organized by OSCE, by the Institute for International Political Studies – ISPI and by the University of Sussex (London, July 12, 2018, The House of Commons, Palace of Westminster).
Renewal in the Spirit in Italy
- He is the first lay person to preside the Rinnovamento nello Spirito Santo (RnS) since 1997. Rinnovamento nello Spirito Santo is a private Association of faithful whose Statutes have been recognized by the Italian Bishops’ Conference (CEI) and by the Holy See. It has around 1900 Groups and Communities in Italy, with over 250.000 participants, nine overseas Missions (among which are in the Republic of Moldova and Transnistria, Israel and Jordan), four residential Schools of formation, a Publishing house, a Foundation for the promotion of social utility projects, a Cooperative for services related to organization of events.
- 'He is member of the International Charismatic Consultation (ICC)', an ecumenical organization which brings together the principal Christian charismatic leaders of the world (representing over 400 million Christians).
- 'International Vice-President of Youth Arise International (YAI)', a project of formation for evangelization. YAI organizes events throughout the world, in particular gatherings leading to the World Youth Day organized by the Vatican with the presence of the Holy Father (the first YAI gathering was held in 1997 in France; the next is due to be held in Panama in 2019).
- He is the founding member of the Committee and of the Associazione Scienza e Vita, a national body with local offices throughout Italy, to which men and women of various ideals and inspirations adhere to in the field of bioethics.
- He is a historical member of the “Forum of Family Associations”, a national body which brings together 48 Associations, 18 Regional Forums and 564 Associations for the promotion and safeguard of the rights of the family.
- From 2011 to 2014, he was Member of the Office of Presidency of Rete in Opera, for two terms, a national Body to which 20 Associations and Movements - Catholic or of Christian inspiration – adhere to, a widespread “Work of networks” founded on the principles of social Doctrine of the Church, expression of the autonomy and of the constitutive role of civil society on issues of greater public relevance.
- He participated as Auditor, nominated by the Pope, at the XIII Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops on the theme: "The new Evangelization for the transmission of the Christian faith , held in the Vatican from October 7 to 28, 2012.
- He was part of the Delegation of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, on the invitation of the authorities of Israel, Jordan and Palestine, on the occasion of the Pontifical journey of Pope Francis to the Holy Land in May 2014.
- As President of RnS, in 2007 he planned, and until now he presides and leads an annual, special National Pilgrimage to the Holy Land, with song and music, mystagogical conferences and spiritual experiences in the principal places of the Christian faith, even through the involvement of the Arab Christian community in Israel and in Palestine, as well as the representatives of the 3 Abrahamic religions present in the Holy Land, beginning with the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem and the Custos of the Holy Land.
- As President of RnS from 2008 he planned, presides and leads an annual National Pilgrimage of Families for the Family in Pompei, a popular gesture of prayer which unites grandparents, parents and children through the “Rosariy of the Family”, in collaboration with Pontifical Council for the Family (now Dicastery for Laity, Family and Life), with the Office of the Bishops’ Conference for the Family and the National Forum of Family Associations.
- As President of RnS he organized and presided at the Olympic Stadium of Rome (1-2 June 2014), with the presence of Pope Francis, the 37^ Convocation of the Italian Renewal with the participation of 52.000 represented by 64 Countries. It was the first time that a Pope intervened at a Gathering in a Stadium organized by an ecclesial Movement.
- As President of the Vatican Foundation CIFN, on the occasion of the Extraordinary Synod of Bishops on the Family, under the aegis of the Secretary General of the Synod, he organized and presided at the Pontifical Urbaniana University (Rome, 11 October 2014) an International Conference on the theme: “A glimpse of truth and of mercy on the Family in the Middle East. Speakers: Patriarchs Card. Béchara Boutros RAÏ, (for the Maronites), H.B. Fouad TWAL (for the Latins), H.B. Ignace Youssif III YOUNAN, (for the Syrians), H.B. Louis Raphaël I SAKO (for the Chaldeans).
- As President of RnS he organized and presided in St. Peter’s Square (3 July 2015) an international event “Voices in prayer for the martyrs of today. For a spiritual Ecumenism and for an Ecumenism of blood”, with the participation of Pope Francis, on the occasion of the 38^ Convocation of the Renewal. 11 high level representatives of the three Christian traditions intervened (Catholic, Protesant, Orthodox) and artists Andrea Bocelli, Noa, Don Moen, Darlene Zschech with 35.000 participants.
- As President of the Vatican Foundation CIFN, following the publication of the Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis on love in the family, “Amoris Laetitia”, he organized and presided, at the Pontifical Urbaniana University (Rome, 21 September 2016), an International Conference on the theme: “The mother of all crisis is spiritual! For a Culture of encounter (Pope Francis)”, an intercultural reading with high level representatives of the three monotheistic religions. Among these Maria Teresa Grand Duchess of Luxembourg and Mohammad Sammak, member of the Board of Presidency of World Conference Religion for Peace.
- As President of the Observatory on Religious Minorities in the World and on the Respect for Religious Freedom promoted by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and of International Cooperation (MAECI), he organized and presided - in Rome (21 December 2017, Auditorium of the Pontifical Antonianum University and the Sala Conferenze Internazionali at the Palazzo della Farnesina) and Assisi (22 December, Sala Papale del Sacro Convento, Sala della Spogliazione del Palazzo Vescovile and the Porziuncola in the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli) - an International Conference on the theme: “Dialogue among cultures and religions in the promotion of peace: 800 years of Franciscan presence in the Holy Land” in collaboration with the Custos of the Holy Land, and the participation of the high level diplomatic and religious representatives from the Middle East as well as those accredited in Italy, belonging to the three Abrahamic religious traditions.
- International Charismatic Consultation, an ecumenical organization that brings together the principal Christian charismatic leaders in the world.
- Association “Scienza e Vita” (brings together bodies of Christian inspiration in the bioethical field.)
- Directive of the “Forum of Family Associations” which brings together 52 Associations, Bodies and Institutions linked to the promotion of the family
- Office of the presidency of “Rete in Opera” which brings together the 18 principal catholic organizations or of Christian inspiration who operate in the social field in Italy (2011-2014)
- Foundation, Institute of human promotion "Mons. Francesco Di Vincenzo", a corporate body to work for the integration of social forms that are the foundation of human dignity (Church, family, education, work), which has given birth to “Polo di eccellenza della solidarietà e della promozione umana «Mario e Luigi Sturzo»”, a social work for the redemption of prisoners and their families. President 2000-
- Foundation “Casa Museo Sturzo” - President
- Foundation “Alleanza del Rinnovamento nello Spirito” - President
- Foundation Moldova “Alleanza del RnS” - President
- Youth Arise International - International vice president
- Come colui che serve, 1997, Coop. RnS (As one who serves)
- L’accoglienza, 1999, Edizioni RnS (Welcoming)
- Voglio parlare ai vostri cuori, 2000, Edizioni RnS (I want to speak to your hearts)
- Sulle orme dello Spirito, 2002, Edizioni RnS (In the foot setps of the Spirit)
- Esperienza dei carismi - In un incontro di preghiera comunitaria (con padre Giuseppe Bentivegna), 2002, Edizioni RnS (Experience of charisms – in a prayer meeting)
- La guida pastorale - Missione di un responsabile nel servizio carismatico (con padre Giuseppe Bentivegna), 2002, Edizioni RnS (Pastoral guidance – the mission of a leader in charismatic service)
- Per un Roveto Ardente di preghiera, 2002, Edizioni RnS (For a Burning Bush of prayer)
- Voi fratelli non lasciatevi scoraggiare nel fare il bene, 2003, Edizioni RnS (You brothers and sisters do not be discouraged in doing good)
- Sintesi del cammino spirituale e pastorale, 2004, Edizioni RnS (A summary of the spiritual and pastoral journey of 2004)
- Il Vangelo dello Spirito Santo in Giovanni Paolo II (a cura di Salvatore Martinez), 2005, Edizioni RnS (The Gospel of the Holy Spirit)
- Cristoterapia della gioia, 2006, Edizioni RnS (Christ therapy of joy)
- Uno solo è lo Spirito, 2006, Edizioni RnS (The Spirit is one)
- C’è una speranza che non delude, 2007, Edizioni RnS (There is a hope that does not disappoint)
- Un tempo per seminare un tempo per raccogliere, 2007, Edizioni RnS (A time to sow, a time to reap)
- Una straordinaria apologia della Spirito Santo (a cura di Salvatore Martinez), 2008, Edizioni RnS (An extraordinary apologetics of the Holy Spirit)
- Ho visto il Signore, 2008, Edizioni RnS (I saw the Lord)
- Famiglia ritorna all’Amore, 2009, Edizioni RnS (Family, return to Love)
- Ridire la fede, ridare la speranza, rifare la carità, 2011, Edizioni RnS (Proclaim the faith again, give hope again, make charity once more)
- Abbiamo bisogno di questo Rinnovamento!, 2011, Edizioni RnS (We need this Renewal)
- I cinque sguardi di Maria, 2012, Edizioni RnS (The five gazes of Mary)
- Spalanca il cuore a Gesù e annuncia il Vangelo, 2013, Edizioni RnS (Open your heart to Jesus and announce the Gospel)
- Papa Francesco e lo Spirito Santo (a cura di Salvatore Martinez), 2014, Edizioni RnS (Pope Francis and the Holy Spirit)
- Sospinti dallo Spirito - Ripartiamo dal Cenacolo, 2014, Edizioni San Paolo (Encouraged by the Holy Spirit – Let’s move from the Upper Room)
- Il Rinnovamento serve alla Chiesa, 2015, Edizioni RnS (The Church is in need of the Renewal)
- Rimane con voi e sarà in voi. The true crisis is spiritual, but the Holy Spirit is not in crisis, 2017, Edizioni RnS (Remains with you and will be in you. The true crisis is spiritual, but the Holy Spirit is not in crisis!)
- Rinnovamento nello Spirito Santo
- Auditor at the XIII Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops held in October 2012
- Promoter and organizer of the 37th Renewal Convocation with Pope Francis
- ADDRESS OF POPE FRANCIS TO PARTICIPANTS IN THE 37TH NATIONAL CONVOCATION OF THE RENEWAL IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, 1 June 2014
- Consulter of the Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelization
- Consulter of the Pontifical Council for the Laity
- Consulter of the Pontifical Council for the Family
- International Center for the Family in Nazareth
- International Center for the Family
- Founding member of the Committee and the Associazione Scienza e Vita Archived 2014-08-08 at the Wayback Machine
- Member of the Board of Presidency Rete in Opera[permanent dead link]
- President of the Foundation, Institute of human promotion Mons. Francesco Di Vincenzo