|Senior Deputy Governor of the Bank of Italy|
|Assumed office |
10 May 2013
|Preceded by||Fabrizio Saccomanni|
|Deputy Governor of the Bank of Italy|
17 January 2012 – 9 May 2013
|Born||6 January 1949|
|Alma mater||University of Bari|
Education and career
Salvatore Rossi was born in Bari, Italy. In 1975, he graduated from the University of Bari with a degree in mathematics. He has been visiting scholar at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
In 1976, he joined the Bank of Italy and in 2000 became head of the Economic Research Department.
From 2007 to 2011, he was chief economist of the Economic Research and International Relations Area. In 2011 he became secretary general and advisor to the Governing Board of the Bank of Italy for economic policy matters. From January 17, 2012 to May 2013, he was a member of the Governing Board of the Bank of Italy as deputy governor. Salvatore Rossi represented the Bank in many official meetings, both in Italy and abroad. He has taught courses and seminars at the University of Rome Tor Vergata and at the University of Bari. From 2013 to 2019 He was senior deputy governor of the Bank of Italy and President of the Italian Insurance Supervisory Authority.
From May 2012 to 2019, he is member of the Foundation Board of the International Centre for Monetary and Banking Studies of Geneva (http://www.icmb.ch/). He is member of the board of governors of Fondazione Giovanni Agnelli and of the board of the Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance(EIEF).
On March 30, 2013, President of the Republic Giorgio Napolitano named Salvatore Rossi among the ten “wise men”, a select group of people who were entrusted the task to devise a policy platform for a new Italian government.
Salvatore Rossi is the author of various articles, essays and books on topics such as international economy, economic politics and history, industrial economy.
- Competere in Europa (ed.), Il Mulino, Bologna, 1993
- La bilancia dei pagamenti: i conti con l'estero dell'Italia, la lira, i problemi dell'unione monetaria europea, with R.S. Masera, CEDAM, Padua, 1993
- La politica economica italiana 1968-1998, Laterza, Rome-Bari 1998, revised editions 2000, 2003, 2007
- La nuova economia: i fatti dietro il mito (ed.), Il Mulino, Bologna, 2003
- La regina e il cavallo. Quattro mosse contro il declino, Laterza, Rome–Bari, 2006
- Controtempo. L'Italia nella crisi mondiale, Laterza, Rome–Bari, 2009
- Processo alla finanza, Laterza, Rome-Bari, 2013
- Che cosa sa fare l'Italia, with Anna Giunta, Laterza, Rome-Bari, 2017
- Oro, Il Mulino, Bologna, 2018
Awards and honours
|Knight of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic - awarded on 27 December 1995|
|Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic - awarded on 27 December 2005|
|Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic - awarded on 30 December 2013|
- Bio from the Bank of Italy's website
- Group of Senior Fellows of the LUISS School of European Political Economy Archived 2014-04-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Members of the Board of directors of Fondazione Giovanni Agnelli
- Governing body of the Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance
- BBC News - Italy: Napolitano invites 'select group' on cabinet
- web, Segretariato generale della Presidenza della Repubblica-Servizio sistemi informatici- reparto. "Le onorificenze della Repubblica Italiana". Quirinale (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-02-24.