May 6, 1986 |
Waterford, Wisconsin, United States
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
|Reach||76.0 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Murrieta, California United States|
Dan Henderson Fitness Center
|Rank||Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Years active||2007 – present (MMA)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Samuel Alvey (born May 6, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the Middleweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2008, Alvey has also formerly competed for Bellator and was a contestant on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson. As of March 2017, Alvey is #14 in the official UFC Middleweight Rankings.
- 1 Background
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Championships and accomplishments
- 5 Mixed martial arts record
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Originally from Waterford, Wisconsin, Alvey competed in football and wrestling in high school and was also a talented musician. Alvey played trumpet in the school's marching band and went on to Lakeland College to play the trumpet semi-professionally. In college, Alvey began competing in Pankration before eventually transitioning into a career in mixed martial arts.
Mixed martial arts career
Alvey began his amateur career in 2007, and was defeated via TKO in the second round of his first amateur bout. He rebounded to win his next two, before turning professional in July 2008. Alvey's early career took place entirely in the state of Wisconsin, where he posted an early 11-1 record, which included multiple wins in the King of the Cage promotion.
Following a win at Light Heavyweight against Bellator MMA fighter and veteran Jason Guida, Alvey was on a three-fight winning streak and was signed by Bellator. His debut match was at Middleweight against future Bellator Welterweight Tournament Champion Karl Amoussou at Bellator 45. Early on, Amoussou bloodied Alvey with varied strikes and worked towards an armbar, though as the fight progressed, Amoussou started to tire and Alvey soon gained control of the fight in the second round and managed to secure a takedown late in the third round. After three rounds, Alvey was victorious via split decision.
Following his win over Amoussou, Alvey was named as a participant in Bellator Season Five Middleweight Tournament, where he faced Vitor Vianna. The fight saw Alvey utilize his reach advantage early in the fight, but by round two, Vianna started to control the bout, having taken Alvey down to the ground. At the end of the second round, Vianna had locked in a rear-naked choke, but time expired, allowing Alvey to make it into the third round. The third round was regarded as much closer and the fight went a decision. Alvey lost via split decision and was eliminated from the tournament.
The Ultimate Fighter
Alvey was then selected to be a part of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson, where he dropped down to welterweight for the first time. In the opening episode, he fought Leo Kuntz to get into the house. Alvey won via quick first-round knockout after a single, clean right hook. During the fighter picks, Shane Carwin selected Alvey first overall. In the third episode, Alvey was selected by Carwin to fight Joey Rivera of Team Nelson. Rivera started the fight by landing two quick head kicks and then landed a takedown. Alvey then had to defend against a guillotine choke and a triangle choke in the first round. In the second round, Alvey started to land more strikes, but was rocked by another head kick from Rivera. Though Alvey survived to go to a decision, Rivera was victorious via majority decision (19-19, 20-18, 20-18).
Maximum Fighting Championship
Alvey's MFC debut was against Elvis Mutapcic for the MFC Middleweight Championship at MFC 36, He lost via unanimous decision. Alvey defeated UFC & Bellator veteran Jay Silva at MFC 37 via TKO in round three. He then won the MFC Middleweight Championship by defeating Jason South and successfully defended it once against Wes Swofford before moving to the UFC.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In June 2014, it was announced that Alvey had signed with the UFC. He made his debut on August 16, 2014 against Tom Watson at UFC Fight Night 47. He lost the back-and-forth fight via unanimous decision.
Alvey was expected to face Daniel Sarafian on February 21, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 83. However, Alvey pulled out of the bout in late December after sustaining a broken jaw and was replaced by Oluwale Bamgbose.
Alvey next faced Elias Theodorou on June 18, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 89. The bout remained on the feet for nearly all of its duration in a largely uneventful fight where neither fighter was able to deliver any significant offense. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
After sustaining virtually no damage during his previous fight, Alvey was quickly rescheduled and faced promotional newcomer Eric Spicely on July 13, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 91. He won the fight via submission in first round.
Championships and accomplishments
- Maximum Fighting Championship
- MFC Middleweight Champion (One time)
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|40 matches||30 wins||9 losses|
|Loss||30–9 (1)||Thales Leites||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Lobov||April 22, 2017||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||30–8 (1)||Nate Marquardt||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Shevchenko vs. Peña||January 28, 2017||3||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||29–8 (1)||Alex Nicholson||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale: dos Anjos vs. Ferguson||November 5, 2016||3||5:00||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Win||28–8 (1)||Kevin Casey||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Maia vs. Condit||August 27, 2016||2||4:56||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||27–8 (1)||Eric Spicely||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: McDonald vs. Lineker||July 13, 2016||1||2:43||Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States|
|Loss||26–8 (1)||Elias Theodorou||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Thompson||June 18, 2016||3||5:00||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||26–7 (1)||Derek Brunson||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux||August 8, 2015||1||2:19||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||26–6 (1)||Dan Kelly||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Miocic vs. Hunt||May 10, 2015||1||0:49||Adelaide, Australia|
|Win||25–6 (1)||Cezar Ferreira||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Bigfoot vs. Mir||February 22, 2015||1||3:34||Porto Alegre, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||24–6 (1)||Dylan Andrews||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Bisping||November 8, 2014||1||2:16||Sydney, Australia|
|Loss||23–6 (1)||Tom Watson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. St. Preux||August 16, 2014||3||5:00||Bangor, Maine, United States|
|Win||23–5 (1)||Gerald Meerschaert||Decision (unanimous)||NAFC: Mega Brawl||May 31, 2014||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||22–5 (1)||Wes Swofford||KO (punch)||MFC 40||May 9, 2014||4||1:02||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||Defended the MFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||21–5 (1)||Jason South||TKO (punches)||MFC 38||October 4, 2013||5||4:56||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||For the vacant MFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||20–5 (1)||Jay Silva||TKO (punches)||MFC 37||May 10, 2013||3||1:05||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||Catchweight (186.6 lbs) bout; Silva missed weight.|
|Loss||19–5 (1)||Elvis Mutapcic||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 36||February 15, 2013||5||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||For the MFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||19–4 (1)||Lucas Lopes||TKO (punches)||ShoFight 20||June 16, 2012||1||1:39||Springfield, Missouri, United States|
|Win||18–4 (1)||Daniel Almeida||TKO (knee injury)||Wreck MMA: Road to Glory||April 20, 2012||1||1:41||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada||Catchweight (190 lbs) bout.|
|Loss||17–4 (1)||Brandon Ropati||Decision (majority)||ICNZ 16||March 3, 2012||3||5:00||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Win||17–3 (1)||Eddie Larrea||TKO (punches)||Madtown Throwdown 26||January 7, 2012||1||4:39||Madison, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||16–3 (1)||Augusto Montaño||Decision (unanimous)||Chihuahua Extremo||November 5, 2011||3||5:00||Chihuahua, Mexico|
|Loss||15–3 (1)||Vitor Vianna||Decision (split)||Bellator 50||September 17, 2011||3||5:00||Hollywood, Florida, United States||Bellator Season 5 Middleweight tournament quarterfinal.|
|Win||15–2 (1)||Karl Amoussou||Decision (split)||Bellator 45||May 21, 2011||3||5:00||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||14–2 (1)||Jason Guida||Decision (split)||NAFC: Bad Blood||November 24, 2010||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||13–2 (1)||Luke Taylor||Decision (unanimous)||Caribbean Ultimate Fist Fighting 1||October 23, 2010||3||5:00||Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago|
|Win||12–2 (1)||William Hill||KO (punch)||KOTC: High Profile||October 9, 2010||2||2:22||Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||11–2 (1)||Gerald Meerschaert||Submission (guillotine choke)||Combat USA: Championship Tournament Finals||September 11, 2010||5||4:08||Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States|
|NC||11–1 (1)||Paul Bradley||No Contest||KOTC: Chain Reaction||July 17, 2010||0||0:00||Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin, United States||Fight stopped due to rainfall.|
|Win||11–1||Pat O'Malley||KO (punches)||Combat USA 21||February 22, 2010||1||2:49||Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||10–1||Brad Resop||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Combat USA 17||February 22, 2010||1||3:40||Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||9–1||Eric Hammerich||TKO (punches)||Madtown Throwdown 22||January 9, 2010||1||4:05||Madison, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||8–1||Demian Decorah||Decision (unanimous)||Racine Fight Night 5||November 28, 2009||5||5:00||Racine, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||7–1||Mark Honneger||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Madtown Throwdown 20||August 1, 2009||4||5:00||Madison, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||6–1||Ron Carter||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Connection||July 18, 2009||3||3:00||Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||5–1||Tre Mittnecht||TKO (punches)||Wisconsin Cage Fighting 1: Battle at the Bleachers||June 20, 2009||1||4:41||Wind Lake, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Caleb Nelson||Decision (unanimous)||First Strike||May 2, 2009||3||3:00||Manitowoc, Wisconsin United States|
|Win||4–0||Jason Sink||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Insanity||April 4, 2009||1||1:10||Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||3–0||Justin Lemke||TKO (punches)||Racine Fight Night 2||February 28, 2009||2||2:31||Racine, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||2–0||Lukas Bowar||TKO (punches)||Racine Fight Night 1||November 29, 2008||1||N/A||Racine, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||1–0||Shane Malchiodi||Submission (kimura)||KOTC: Rock Solid||July 19, 2008||2||1:19||Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|2 matches||1 win||1 loss|
|Loss||1–1||Joey Rivera||Decision (majority)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson||September 28, 2012 (airdate)||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary bout.|
|Win||1–0||Leo Kuntz||KO (punch)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson||September 14, 2012 (airdate)||1||0:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||TUF 16 entry bout.|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Teixeira vs. Saint Preux". UFC.com. Retrieved August 9, 2015.
- "Sam Alvey - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Bellator 45". bellator.com. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-06-14). "Sam Alvey signs with the UFC, meets Tom Watson at UFN 47". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- Matt Erickson (11 September 2014). "Five bouts added to UFC Fight Night 55 in Australia". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- Ben Fowlkes (November 8, 2014). "UFC Fight Night 55 results: Sam Alvey shocks Dylan Andrews in odd knockout finish". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 8, 2014.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-12-18). "Ferreira-Alvey announced for UFC Fight Night in Brazil on Feb. 22". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-12-18.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-02-22). "UFC Fight Night 61 results: Sam Alvey all smiles after bulldozing Cezar Ferreira". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-22.
- Staff (2015-02-22). "UFC Fight Night 61 bonuses: Frank Mir leads quartet of 'Performance of the Night' winners". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-22.
- Peter Theodosiou (2015-03-12). "Daniel Kelly aims to settle score with Sam Alvey at UFC Adelaide card". heraldsun.com. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- Steven Marrocco (May 9, 2015). "UFC Fight Night 65 results: Sam Alvey lights up Daniel Kelly for first-round TKO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
- Dave Doyle (2015-06-16). "Derek Brunson vs. Sam Alvey set for UFC Fight Night 73 in Nashville". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-08-08). "UFC Fight Night 73 results: Derek Brunson scores first-round TKO of Sam Alvey". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Staff (2015-12-16). "Sam Alvey vs. Daniel Sarafian joins UFC Fight Night 82 lineup in Pittsburgh". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- Staff (2015-12-29). "Sam Alvey suffers broken jaw, out of UFC Fight Night 82 vs. Daniel Sarafian". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-12-29). "Oluwale Bamgbose replaces injured Sam Alvey, meets Daniel Sarafian at UFC Fight Night Pittsburgh". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- Staff (2016-03-29). "Multiple fight bookings made official for UFC Fight Night 89". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-06-18). "UFC Fight Night 89 results: Elias Theodorou baffles Sam Alvey in slow-paced affair". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- Staff (2016-06-25). "Sam Alvey vs. Eric Spicely added to UFC Fight Night 91 in South Dakota". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-25.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-07-13). "UFC Fight Night 91 results: Sam Alvey gets big reason to smile with submission of Eric Spicely". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Staff (2016-07-19). "UFC on FOX 21 in Vancouver adds three bouts, including Sam Alvey vs. Kevin Casey". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-08-27). "UFC on FOX 21 results: Sam Alvey finishes Kevin Casey with punches in second round". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-10-10). "Sam Alvey vs. Alex Nicholson moved to UFC Fight Night in Mexico City on Nov. 5". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-11-05). "UFC Fight Night 98 results: Sam Alvey smiles way – mostly – to unanimous decision over Alex Nicholson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- Mookie Alexander (2016-11-17). "Sam Alvey vs. Nate Marquardt booked for UFC on FOX in Denver". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Matt Erickson (2017-01-28). "UFC on FOX 23 results: Sam Alvey stretches streak to 4, takes decision from Nate Marquardt". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- Dale Jordan (2017-02-12). "UFC announces Nashville event for April 22nd. Four fights officially added to the card". mmamad.com. Retrieved 2017-02-12.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-04-23). "UFC Fight Night 108 results: Thales Leites' kicks prove too much in unanimous win over Sam Alvey". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- Danny Segura (2017-06-23). "Rashad Evans vs. Sam Alvey set for UFC Fight Night 114 in Mexico City". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "UFC on FOX 21's Sam Alvey already targets another 'paid sparring session' on Manchester card". 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2016-08-28.