Sam Amidon at Iceland Airwaves 2008
June 3, 1981 |
Brattleboro, Vermont, United States
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, banjo, fiddle|
Sam Amidon (born June 3, 1981 in Brattleboro, Vermont) is an American independent folk artist. His parents are folk artists Peter and Mary Alice Amidon. His younger brother, Stefan, is a professional drummer who performs with The Sweetback Sisters among other groups. Amidon attended The Putney School in Putney, Vermont.
In 2001, Amidon self-released Solo Fiddle, an album of traditional Irish instrumentals, solely played by himself on the fiddle.
Amidon's first full-length album, But This Chicken Proved False Hearted (2007), was made with longtime collaborator Thomas Bartlett, in whose band, Doveman, Amidon also plays. His second album, All Is Well (2008), was produced, recorded and mixed in Iceland by Valgeir Sigurðsson at Greenhouse Studios. His third album, I See the Sign - also produced by Valgeir Sigurðsson - was released in 2010. Amidon is a member of the Icelandic music collective/record label Bedroom Community.
Amidon's fourth album, Bright Sunny South, was released 14 May 2013, his first on Nonesuch Records. His next album, Lily-O, was released on the same label on 30 September 2014. Amidon has also been working and performing with Bill Frisell.
- Solo Fiddle (2001)
- Home Alone Inside My Head (live multimedia performance, 2003)
- But This Chicken Proved False Hearted (as Samamidon) (2007 out-of-print; 2015 re-release)
- All Is Well (as Samamidon) (2008)
- I See the Sign (2010)
- Bright Sunny South (2013)
- Lily-O (2014)
- "The Amidons - Home". Amidonmusic.com. Retrieved 2015-05-12.
-  Archived January 28, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Solo Fiddle at Bandcamp". Bandcamp.com. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "New Release: Sam Amidon: I See the Sign | News". Pitchfork. 2009-12-15. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- Tim Adams (2012-09-23). "Beth Orton: 'I started to believe I had run my course' | Music | The Observer". Guardian. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- Chris Parkin (2015-05-11). "Listen to an exclusive mix from Sam Amidon". Red Bull Music Academy.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sam Amidon.|
- Sam Amidon's Official website
- Sam Amidon on YouTube
- Sam Amidon at Bandcamp (includes album streams)
- Times Online - Sam Amidon and the folk revival (paid content)
|This article about an American musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|