Sam Anderson (rugby league)
Anderson playing for the New South Wales Residents in 2015.
25 March 1991 |
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||181 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||100 kg (15 st 10 lb)|
|As of 29 September 2015
Sam Anderson (born 25 March 1991) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the Redcliffe Dolphins in the Queensland Cup. He plays at prop and lock and previously played for the Penrith Panthers in the National Rugby League.
Born in Newcastle, New South Wales, Anderson played his junior football for the West Maitland Reddogs and Kurri Kurri Bulldogs before being signed by the Newcastle Knights. He played for the Knights' NYC team in 2011. At the end of the 2011 season, Anderson was named the Knights' NYC Player of the Year and the Players' Player of the Year.
In October 2011, Anderson was forced to decide on whether to sign with the Penrith Panthers or re-sign with the Knights. Phil Gould, the coaching director of the Panthers, offered an easier path to first-grade football with the loss of prop Petero Civoniceva. However, Wayne Bennett, the coach of the Knights, personally told Anderson that he was in his future plans for the Knights.
On 21 October 2011, Anderson re-signed with the Knights on a 1-year contract.
On 22 September 2013, Anderson was named on the interchange bench in the 2013 New South Wales Cup Team of the Year. In October he was also named as the Panthers New South Wales Cup Player of the Year, so capped off a very successful 2013. 
On 3 May 2015, Anderson played for the New South Wales Residents against the Queensland Residents for the third year in a row. He added another NRL game to his tally and captained the Panthers' New South Wales Cup team.
In May 2016, Anderson was selected to represent the Queensland Residents as starting prop against New South Wales, for whom he had played the previous three seasons.
Anderson was voted 2016 Prop of the Year in the Intrust Super Cup competition and was third in the Daily Courier Player of the Year voting.
He led the Dolphins to the 2016 Minor Premiership. They were scheduled to challenge Burleigh Bears for the Major Premiership at Suncorp Stadium on 25 September 2016.
- "Sam Anderson - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140301005816/http://rleague.com/players/Sam-Anderson_3157/Matches/. Archived from the original on 1 March 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2013. Missing or empty
- Dillon, Robert (2011-09-29). "Sam Anderson in demand | Newcastle Herald". Theherald.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20111024144823/http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=44670&title=sam-anderson-signs-with-the-knights. Archived from the original on 24 October 2011. Retrieved 22 October 2011. Missing or empty
- Keeble, Brett (2012-09-17). "Knights lose two local lads to Penrith | Newcastle Herald". Theherald.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130510003910/http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news-display/Panthers-Round-9-NRL-Team-v-Storm/74104. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013. Missing or empty
- "The Greenhouse • View topic - Williams and Foster named for NSW Residents". Thegreenhouseact.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "NSW Cup Representatives edge Queensland Residents in curtain raiser". Dailytelegraph.com.au. 2013-07-17. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140111155627/http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=84880&title=2013-nswrlcomau-vb-nsw-cup-team-of-the-year---announcement. Archived from the original on 11 January 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2016. Missing or empty
- NRL. "VB NSW Cup Representative Side - Team Announcement". NSWRL. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- NRL. "VB NSW Cup Rep Team go down to QLD Residents". NSWRL. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- NRL. "2014 VB NSW Cup Team of the Year". NSWRL. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- NRL. "VB NSW Cup Representative Team". NSWRL. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- NRL. "XXXX Queensland Residents team". QRL. Retrieved 2016-05-17.