|No. 41 – New York Giants|
|Born:||August 30, 1996|
Grand Rapids, Michigan
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school:||Ottawa Hills|
(Grand Rapids, Michigan)
|Supplemental draft:||2018 / Round: 3|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Sam Beal (born August 30, 1996) is an American football cornerback for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Western Michigan, and high school football at Ottawa Hills High School.
High school career
Playing at Ottawa Hills High School in Grand Rapids, Beal started on its varsity football team for three years and played on both sides of the ball. Aside from football, Beal garnered All-American honors his senior year in track and field. He committed to Western Michigan in late July 2014, favoring the college because he lived in Kalamazoo before high school. Beal was a two-star prospect.
A nose for contact turned Beal to the defensive side of the ball in college. He played as a true freshman in twelve games and logged 55 tackles as a sophomore. A breakout game against USC, which included an interception of Sam Darnold, highlighted Beal's junior season, which was marred by an injury that occurred in regulation of a seven-overtime game against Buffalo and kept him out of the following week's game against Akron. Following the season, Beal was named Second Team All-Mid-American Conference.
Beal considered entering the 2018 NFL Draft but decided to stay, citing a multitude of reasons. He was projected to go in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft. Beal was named a preseason First Team All-MAC selection for the upcoming 2018 season. In June before his senior season, Beal applied to enter the 2018 NFL Supplemental Draft.
Beal was drafted by the New York Giants in the third round of the 2018 Supplemental Draft. On July 25, 2018 during training camp, Beal suffered a shoulder injury that would keep him out his entire rookie season. He was placed on injured reserve four days later.
- Kaminski, Steve. "Sam Beal signs with WMU, becomes Grand Rapids Ottawa Hills' first Division I player since 2008". mlive.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Hutton, Jason. "Ottawa Hills senior Sam Beal commits to Western Michigan for football". Fox 17. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Buckley, Nick. "Western Michigan's Sam Beal could be Broncos' next big pro prospect". Battle Creek Enquirer. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "Sam Beal, Ottawa Hills". 247Sports.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Buckley, Nick. "Western Michigan Broncos' best: No. 14 Sam Beal a lockdown cornerback". Battle Creek Enquirer. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Tuls, Jonah. "Tuls: Smith and Jones II help USC survive early scare vs WMU". NDT Scouting. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Nothaft, Patrick. "WMU CB Sam Beal to return for EMU game, RB LeVante Bellamy out". mlive.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Evans, Marshawn. "broncos crowd the All-MAC selections". Western Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Janvrin, Richard. "2019 NFL Mock Draft: Predictions for Next Year's Top Prospects". Bleacher Report. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "Seven Broncos Named Preseason All-MAC by Athlon Sports". Western Michigan Sports. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Bouda, Nate (June 6, 2018). "Western Michigan CB Sam Beal Petitioning To Enter 2018 Supplemental Draft". nfltraderumors.co. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Eisen, Michael (July 11, 2018). "Giants select CB Sam Beal in supplemental draft". Giants.com.
- Sessler, Marc (July 25, 2018). "Sam Beal likely out for year with shoulder injury". NFL.com.
- "Giants place Sam Beal on IR, re-sign Kenneth Durden". Giants Wire. USA Today.com. July 29, 2018.