February 25, 1985 |
|Residence||Colorado Springs, Colorado|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Sport||Track, Track and field, long-distance running|
|Event(s)||5000 metres, 10,000 meters|
|College team||Liberty University|
|Now coaching||Scott Simmons|
|Achievements and titles|
Samuel Chelanga (born February 25, 1985 in Baringo County) is a Kenyan born American track and field athlete who competed for Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia from 2008 to 2011. He holds the NCAA record for the 10,000 meters run with a time of 27:08.49. His brother, Joshua Chelanga, is a professional marathon runner.
Originally hailing from Nairobi, he moved to the United States on a sports scholarship. He attended Liberty University, with whom he won the 2009 NCAA Men's Cross Country Championship in Terre Haute, Indiana and set a course record in 28:41.3. He won a third consecutive title at the Big South Conference cross country championships in October, leading the race by a margin of over half a minute. He defended his title by winning the NCAA cross country championship in 2010, becoming only the 11th man in NCAA history to win at least two such titles. He ended his time at Liberty University with fourteen All-American distance honours.
|2011||NCAA Division 1 Outdoor Track and Field Championships||Drake Stadium - Des Moines, IA||13:29.30||1st|
|2011||NCAA Division 1 Outdoor Track and Field Championships||Drake Stadium - Des Moines, IA||28:12.18||2nd|
|2011||NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships||Texas A&M-Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium - College Station||13:27.34||2nd|
|2011||NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships||Texas A&M-Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium - College Station||8:11.15||15th|
|2011||Big South Conference Indoor Championships||Clemson-Indoor Track Facility - Clemson, SC||4:16.88||1st|
|2010||NCAA Division 1 Outdoor Track and Field Championships||Drake Stadium - Des Moines, IA||13:45.35||2nd|
|2010||NCAA Division 1 Outdoor Track and Field Championships||Drake Stadium - Des Moines, IA||28:37.40||1st|
|2010||NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships||Arkansas-Randall Tyson Track - Fayetteville, AR||13:37.01||2nd|
|2010||Big South Conference Indoor Championships||Clemson-Indoor Track Facility - Clemson, SC||4:13.75||1st|
|2010||Big South Conference Indoor Championships||Clemson-Indoor Track Facility - Clemson, SC||8:14.07||1st|
|2009||Big South Conference Outdoor Championships||Radford Patrick D. Cupp Track - Radford, VA||14:01.89||1st|
|2009||Big South Conference Outdoor Championships||Radford Patrick D. Cupp Track - Radford, VA||3:49.69||1st|
In November 2013, he won the 77th Manchester Road Race (4.748 miles), an annual race held on Thanksgiving Day in Manchester, Connecticut, in a time of 21 minutes, 31 seconds. Sam ran a 13:04.35 at Boston University's BU Multi-Team Meet, coming in second. He came in second behind his old college rival Galen Rupp who won in 13:01.26 – a new American indoor 5k record.
2014 Annual Bests
Event Result Venue Date
Mile 4:02.90 Falmouth (USA) 16.08.2014
3000m ind. 7:45.21 Boston (USA) 08.02.2014
5000m 13:16.24 Berlin (GER) 31.08.2014
5000m ind. 13:04.35 Boston (USA) 16.01.2014
10,000m 27:59.74 Eugene (USA) 30.05.2014
8 km Road 22:45 Kingsport (USA) 12.07.2014
10 km Road 28:11 Boston (USA) 22.06.2014
Half Marathon 1:02:59 Philadelphia (USA) 20.09.2014
2016 27:54.57 Palo Alto, CA 1 May
2014 27:59.74 Eugene, OR 30 MAY
2013 27:46.06 Melbourne (Albert Park) 12 DEC
2012 27:29.82 Palo Alto, CA 29 APR
2011 28:12.18 Des Moines, IA 10 JUN
2010 27:08.39 Palo Alto, CA 01 MAY
2009 27:28.48 Berkeley, CA 24 APR
2008 28:15.99 Palo Alto, CA 04 MAY
Carlsbad 5000 Results:
1. @LawiLalang1 13:32
2. Wilson Too 13:35
3. @Lagat1500 13:40
4. @SamChelanga 13:50
USA 5 km Championships CVS/pharmacy Downtown 5k Providence, Rhode Island
1. David Torrence 13:56.0
2. Dan Huling 13:59.0
3. Dathan Ritzenhein 14:03.0
4. Sam Chelanga 14:07.0
USA 10 mile championship on October 4
1. Sam Chelanga 46:47
2. Tyler Pennel
3. Dathan Ritzenhein
Chelanga placed sixth in the 10,000 m in 28:56.12 and 22nd in 5000 meters in 13:59.52 at 2016 United States Olympic Trials (track and field).
In May Chelanga served as a pacer for Nike's Breaking2 attempt at achieving a sub-2-hour marathon time.
- Updated May 17, 2014.
|Outdoor track||5000 m||13:09.67||June 2, 2012||Eugene, OR|
|10,000 m||27:08.49||May 1, 2010||Palo Alto, CA|
|Indoor track||3000 m||7:45.21||February 8, 2014||Boston (Roxbury), MA|
|5000 m||13:04.35||January 16, 2014||Boston (Boston Univ.), MA|
|Road||10 km||28:11||June 23, 2014||Boston, MA|
|Half marathon||1:01:19||March 18, 2012||New York City, NY|
- All-Athletics. "Profile of Samuel Chelanga".
- "Track and Field News: Record", TrackandFieldNews.com. 2010-05-01. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- "Chelanga Outruns Doubts to Win NCAA Title", RunningTimes.com. 2009-11-22. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- Ramsak, Bob (2010-11-01). Hasay cruises to Pac-10 title, Chelanga dominates in Blacksburg - NCAA Conference champs round-up. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-12-08.
- Lee, Kirby (2010-11-23). Chelanga and Reid Prevail at NCAA Cross Country Championships. IAAF Retrieved on 2010-11-27.
- Sam Chelenga Liberty University Track and Field Results
- Chelanga Places 4th in BAA 10K. Liberty Flames (2011-06-26). Retrieved on 2011-07-02.
-  2013 Manchester Road Race
- United Airlines NYC Half Marathon Results in New York City, NY Sunday, March 20, 2016
- 2016 Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run results
- USATF.TV and Runnerspace media coverage of usa road race explains historical significance of american victory at 2016 Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run in Washington DC
- 2016 Payton Jordan Invitational 10,000m results
- "usatf.org 2016 Hoka One One Middle Distance Classic". Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Track & Field Results - 6/30/2016 to 7/10/2016 Eugene, Oregon USATF. Retrieved by September 5, 2016.
- 2016 Results - USATF 20 km Championships Published by USATF 20 km Championships - Official Website USATF. Retrieved by September 5, 2016.
- Landry Seeks to Extend USATF Running Circuit Lead at USATF 20 km Championships 9/2/2016 NEW HAVEN, CONNECTICUT USATF. Retrieved by September 5, 2016.
- USA – Korir, Tuliamuk victorious at USATF Cross Country Championships athleticsnacac.org. February 5, 2017.
- Olympians Top Canadian Contingent At NACAC 10K Road Race Cup February 27 2017.
- Olympians top Canadian contingent at NACAC 10K Road Race Cup runningmagazine.ca/ - February 26th, 2017 by Tim Huebsch.
- IAAF Samuel Chelanga biography. Retrieved on 2011-06-27.