|Education||Kapiolani Community College Culinary Arts program|
|Cooking style||Pacific rim cuisine|
Sam Choy is a chef, restaurateur, and television personality known as a founding contributor of "Pacific rim cuisine". Choy is an alumnus of the Kapiolani Community College Culinary Arts program. One of his first jobs as a chef was at The Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. He would then return to Hawaii, where he eventually opened a chain of restaurants. Choy helped develop and popularize Hawaii regional cuisine. In 1991, Choy founded the Poke Festival and Recipe Contest.
In 2004, Choy was awarded the James Beard Foundation Award America's Classics Award for Sam Choy's Kaloko in Kailua-Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii. The award recognizes "beloved regional restaurants" that reflect the character of their communities.
Choy has appeared in several Food TV programs, including Ready.. Set... Cook! and Iron Chef America. He is good friends with Emeril Lagasse, who has appeared on Choy's TV show Sam Choy's Kitchen on KHNL. Lagasse has also mentioned Choy by name several times in his TV shows; one of those times he was making Poke on his live TV show, and added peanut butter to the Poke - Choy's "secret ingredient". In 2015, Choy broadcast a series on YouTube, Sam Choy In The Kitchen.
Choy has designed special Hawaiian inspired dishes for American Airlines first class passengers to and from Hawaii.
- Sam Choy (1995). "With Sam Choy: Cooking from the Heart"
- Sam Choy (1999). "The Choy of Seafood"
- Sam Choy, U'I Goldsberry, & Steven Goldsberry (1999). "Sam Choy's Island Flavors"
- Sam Choy and Catherine Enomoto (2000). "Sam Choy's Cooking: Island Cuisine at Its Best"
- Sam Choy (2001). "Sam Choy Woks the Wok: Stir Fry Cooking at Its Island Best"
- Sam Choy (2001). "Sam Choy's Cooking with Kids"
- Sam Choy (2000). "Sam Choy's Sampler: Hawaii's Favorite Recipes"
- Sam Choy (2002). "Sam Choy's Polynesian Kitchen: More Than 150 Authentic Dishes from One of the World's Most Delicious and Overlooked Cuisine"
- Sam Choy (2002). "Sam Choy's visits Mr. Burkott and his farm in Hawaii"
- Sam Choy (2003). "Sam Choy's Little Hawaiian Cookbook for Big Appetites"
- Sam Choy, Lynn Cook, and Douglas Peebles (2003). "A Hawaiian Luau with Sam Choy and The Makaha Sons"
- Sam Choy and Elizabeth Meahl. (2004). "Sam Choy's A Little Hawaiian Poke Cookbook"
- Sam Choy (2006). "Aloha Cuisine"
- Sam Choy (2009). "Poke"
- Created Huki Lau Cafe (no longer owned by Choy, Laie, O'ahu, Hawaii)
- Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch, and Crab (Closed in 2013)
- Sam Choy's (Tumon Bay, Guam)
- Sam Choy's Kai Lanai ( Big Island, Hawaii)
- Sam Choy's Seafood Style Island Grille (Pearl Harbor, O'ahu, Hawaii)
- Sam Choy's Poke to the Max (Seattle, Washington)
- Tsai, Michael (2006-07-02). "Pacific Rim Cuisine". Honolulu Advertiser. Honolulu Advertiser. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- "Sam Choy: Biography". Food Network. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- Choy, Sam. "Sam Choy's Island Flavors". Global Gourmet. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- "Emeril Live". Food Network. Food Network. 2007-07-06. Retrieved 2007-09-19.